What's new

FOX -- Ideas for future "mail-order redemption" discs (1 Viewer)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
While some may disagree with me, I like the practical approach you are taking with the limited-appeal title SUNRISE by offering it to consumers who buy specific classic Fox titles. This gives you an idea of your consumer fanbase, allows you to make the copies you need that won't gather dust on a retailer's shelf, and the devoted fans get their hard to see movies.

If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest movie combos that could be tied in to help move limited appeal movies that we have longed for on DVD:

Buy:
THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW
FIGHT CLUB
PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE
Get:
MYRA BRECKINRIDGE

Buy:
M*A*S*H
DONNIE DARKO
WAKING LIFE
Get:
3 WOMEN

Buy:
BEDAZZLED remake
JOHNNY DANGEROUSLY
OFFICE SPACE
Get:
BEDAZZLED original

I'm sure the more experienced fellas can carry the ball on this idea.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't mind this idea either, but...
I don't think it should be based on a fixed 3 titles. The offer for Sunrise applies to all the classic titles they will be releasing throughout the year, so we are free to choose to buy any 3 of those that we like.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Great idea, but only if the title can be purchased by itself.

If you just want the freebie disc, you're forced to get the 3 discs you DON'T want. So, if you want the original Bedazzled only, you have no choice but to buy 3 DVD's you may not want.

You'd all be on Warner's case if they released Citizen Kane only by mail-order by buying Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (original edition). Same thing for Columbia if you had to get Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, His Girl Friday, and Mr. Deeds Goes To Town in order to get It Happened One Night. I could go on and on with examples.

Sunrise is HIGHLY REQUESTED and is in fact the most mentioned title on my Major Studio Silent Film Petition, which shows that mail-order redemptions just please a few people, but make things a hassle for others.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, if you'd read over the the "Back from Hollywood" thread, you'd see that it was either this mail-in offer or NO Sunrise!

The disc is open to ANYONE who mails in the proper POPs, so no region problems there. This is a test to PROVE to the powers that be that there's a market for these very old silent films. If Sunrise does well, you may very well see future titles hitting the retailer racks

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Patrick, if you'd read over the the "Back from Hollywood" thread, you'd see that it was either this mail-in offer or NO Sunrise!

The disc is open to ANYONE who mails in the proper POPs, so no region problems there. This is a test to PROVE to the powers that be that there's a market for these very old silent films. If Sunrise does well, you may very well see future titles hitting the retailer racks
I have read it and I'm not happy with the answer.

Why does Fox need to prove there's a market for silent film? I think it's easier to simply look at sales by Kino and Blackhawk Films.

Am I the only person that sees something wrong with making an actual MOVIE availible only by a 60 dollar (approx) special offer?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
If Fox were to judge the sales potential of a silent film release by looking at the sales of "Kino or Blackhawk", Fox would never release a single silent title.

The sales garnered by Kino on their releases may be profitable for Kino, because they are a tiny, tiny company.
Those same sales figures would be laughable to a huge company like Fox.

I think it's astounding that Fox (a company that has never been particularly savvy at properly taking advantage of their library titles)is even willing to try and do something with SUNRISE. While I agree that it would be nice to have it for sale as a single DVD, perhaps this method they have devised is the only way they can make the title available without losing thousands of dollars in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks