"Fox: Huh?" _Empire Strikes Back_

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just saw a commercial on Fox. They are showing a different Star Wars movie each Thursday as hype for Episode II. What I don't get is this, they are showing them in this order:

V Empire Strikes Back

VI Return of the Jedi

I Phantom Menace

What happened to Episode IV? Apparently, these are the special editions that came out in the theaters.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't know why they're not showing "A new hope", that seems a bit odd...

I think the promo for ESB said something about "exclusive TV footage" or something like that, does anyone know what that is?

/Mike

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Episode IV has probably been sold to other entities for an exclusive window meaning Fox can't legally get their hands on it without paying those parties $$$.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The Special Edition of Ep IV was sold into Syndication and cable (tbs) long ago, I believe 1998 and that window is not up yet.

This will be the first broadcast of the Special Edition versions of V and VI. And there will be little commercial intors with 3PO and R2 with AOTC footage.

They're showing TPM last since it'll be closest to the release of AOTC and therfore more relevant to it than the others.

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator
The Episode 2 bits look to be the "Connections" sequences that have been showing on Austrailian tv for a little while now. You can download one dealing with the Skywalker family and one dealing with Bounty hunters online now (there may be others I just have those two).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
However silly the schedule seems (though it's clear that the rights are just not available for ANH) it's an excellent marketting strategy. Fox Network gets good ratings for the first broadcast of the Special Editions (they should do them in widescreen - but I digress) and Ep 2 gets 3 2.5-3 hour ads each Thursday until Ep 2 opens.

Brilliant.

Craig_T

Second Unit
Well of course they are the "Special Edition" versions. Haven't you heard, these are the ONLY "definitive" versions now. The originals will rot in George's basement along with all that unsold Jar Jar merchandise until the end of humanity.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Star Wars(1977): A New Hope - Special Edition is exclusive to the TBS/WGN/WB networks for the time being.

And on the Fox networks, its the broadcast premier of the theatrical Special Editions for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. C-3PO & R2-D2 will host each film broadcast on the Fox networks and during the breaks, interstituals from Attack of The Clones will be shown.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Well of course they are the "Special Edition" versions. Haven't you heard, these are the ONLY "definitive" versions now. The originals will rot in George's basement along with all that unsold Jar Jar merchandise until the end of humanity.
You do know that this constant whining about the different versions of Star Wars is beyond annoying, right?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, are these being broadcas in widescreen?

I never know with Fox. Some of their series are shown in 16x9, and the Fox Movie Channel generally (always?) shows movies in OAR. Not sure about the upcoming Star Wars broadcasts...

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
During tonight's Enterprise they showed that Star Wars IV: A New Hope will be shown sat. at 8:00 p.m.
Todd

Steve Tannehill

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hmmm, Mat, are you watching it on a high-def rig? I am.

It's indeed 2.35x1 widescreen, and looks at least 480P.

- Steve

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa