Fox: HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jaime_Weinman, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

It's mentioned on thedigitalbits that Fox is planning to release a few more classics sometime. I don't dare hope that Ernst Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait will be one of them, but it really deserves to be on DVD sometime. The biggest obstacle to its being more well-known is that Warren Beatty's Heaven Can Wait has the same title but is a remake of a different film (Here Comes Mr. Jordan), which leads to confusion. The 1943 Heaven Can Wait chronicles the life of a rakish but lovable playboy (Don Ameche) from birth to death; the cast includes Gene Tierney, Charles Coburn and Marjorie Main. It's one of the most unusual comedies to come out of Hollywood in the '40s (Ameche narrates the entire story to Satan), and having seen it on the big screen I can say that it is charming, funny, touching -- a real crowd-pleaser and one of Lubitsch's best movies. There's also something else I learned from seeing a good print on the big screen: The VHS and laserdisc versions simply didn't do justice to the gorgeous use of Technicolor. A properly restored DVD would be a knockout. No extras necessary; this is (IMO) one of the very best classic movies in the Fox vaults and really needs to be on DVD.

Lubitsch completed one more movie for Fox, Cluny Brown with Jennifer Jones and Charles Boyer, that is also delightful and ought to be on DVD (it's never even been on VHS or laser).

2. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm down for a copy. [​IMG]

3. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    "Heaven Can Wait"
    but I can't, so put me down for a piece of the action.

Gene Tierney is devine in that film.

The Laserdisc has Alfred Newman's sentimental score isolated, so a repeat on any DVD would be nice.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

count me in as well
    [​IMG]

5. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

This again is one of the many classics sitting in vaults all over the country, just waiting to see the light of a laser.

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Hook us up, Fox!
    Can I pre-reserve a copy? [​IMG]