What's new

Fox have postponed 'Julia' - any ideas why? (1 Viewer)

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Fox have announced that the release of 'Julia' promised for June 7th has been postponed indefinitely. No explanation has been given as far as I can tell. This is a title I've really been looking forward to. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be behind this?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Possibly with Jane resuming interest in her career, they are working on some extras that involve her and/or possibly Vanessa. Here's hoping...

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I just had a thought, I wonder if they're postponing the release to coincide with the DVD release of Monster-In-Law, which would be some time in September, if it follows the four month rule that seems common now.

It'd be great to see some bonus features. I love this film, it's one of the last on my DVD wish list, most of which have been Fox titles for the last couple of years. "Two For The Road" and "Lifeboat" are high on it as well. Why does Fox seem so disinterested in its back catalog?

Director Fred Zinnemann may be dead, but both Fonda and Redgrave are with us and as I understand it this was a film that was close to both of them, and Redgrave won her Oscar for it, so maybe it's not too much to hope.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
On a downside, I suspect could be a political/PR move. Fonda's been getting barraged with the "Hanoi Jane" epithets again, and I'm sure commentators on both the right and left would have a field day needling Fox News over their sister DVD company rereleasing one of her movies during this vociferous period. Fox Video probably figured if they delay it until the protests have died down it won't kick up as much embarrassment for the larger news division.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I wonder if her poitics is still causing many studios to neglect her work.

Look at Warner, they control DOLLMAKER (one of her best), STEELYARD BLUES, ROLLOVER, MORNING AFTER, ANY WEDNESDAY, PERIOD OF ADJUSTMENT, CHAPMAN REPORT, IN THE COLD OF THE DAY, SUNDAY IN NEW YORK, (I really like her MGM titles), yet no nothing on the horizon, and also BLUE BIRD is another Fox movie with her in it, I do suspect that perhaps she is still considered "controversial"?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i think the politics angle is a bit of a stretch.
of course, in this current twilight zone, i guess nothing would surprise me- but to withhold a catalog title thats over 25 yrs old because a few people, who don't like her and who wouldn't be buying it anyway, would be pissed off seems beyond the pale.

given that the film has
1) many living participants
2) was an academy award winner
3) had a historical context
4) was semi-biographical in regards to one of the countries leading playwrites and authors

seems to me there is more than enough points of interest there to warrent some substanative supplemental content.
plus you add to that the star of the piece is becoming more active again after a long 'retirement'...

at least i hope that is what this all points to.

this was one of the releases i was really looking forward to over the summer and it figures they would pull it, but of that entire batch that it was announced with, it was the one that to me most looked SE worthy.
if AB or Criterion asked to get their paws on it first, then i guess that Fox would realize it would serve them better to have the film liscenced than dumped into the $5 bin at wal-mart (where that crowd would most likely avoid it anyway).
i have still only ever seen 2 copies of Silver Streak for sale and both were in a wal-mart bin.
never saw it at BB or Borders or CC or anywhere else.
Julia would have most likely shared the same fate.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that supplemental materials for a "Julia" DVD would be worthwhile, particularly if they address Lillian Hellman's claim that the story of Julia was true (a position that has been largely discredited in the years following Hellman's death). It would be interesting to hear Fonda and Redgrave's take on the fact vs. fiction controversy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks