1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox has Distribution Deal for MGM Catalog!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Scott, May 30, 2006.

1. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Paramount is the one with the bombs lately. There have been several high profile Columbia releases of late, not the least of which is "The Da Vinci Code"

There have been errors (not confined to any one studio) and plenty of great product like "The Magnificent Seven", "Some Like it Hot", etc.

Seems you're just here to mindlessly Sony bash.
    Talk about CLUELESS...

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    What is this the "bash whatever studio" thread?????? We all know that some of them are not as good as say Warner's, but making insulting posts is not going to change their questionable performance into producing better product for the consumers. I am a firm believer that constructive criticism is more effective than just beating the hell of them by saying they suck or they don't have any idea what they're doing. Also, I don't think it's necessary to give Warner props while at the same time kicking the crap out of Fox. Each of the studios have earned their particular level of consumer trust by their various efforts in producing quality dvds. There is little need in being nasty about it when pointing out certain studios shortcomings in those endeavors.

Crawdaddy

3. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

What? I like WITCHFINDER GENERAL a great deal. Should this news make me happy or sad?

4. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

yeah, I realize that now and I apologize. Hopefully a moderator can change the title to better reflect it.

My wishful thinking got the best of me.

5. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

"BURN WITCH BURN"
    "WITCHFINDER GENERAL" DOUBLE FEATURE ON MIDNITE MOVIES, ANYONE ???
    HOPEFULLY, SOONER THAN LATER !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Oy! Talk about a let down.

The title of this thread really needs to be modified.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    As far as a restoration entitiy within the studio, Columbia has had a viable staff since about 1990...

Fox is quite new to this, having really only created a fully vested restoration and asset protection area around 2000.

Both now have fine people in place.

RAH

8. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

... for now.

9. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

I'm afraid that I must include myself in the camp that considers themselves more confused after reading this thread than I did before.

Here is what I am trying to understand:

1) While I understand that Fox is only fulfilling a distributor role here, was the real problem with MGM under Sony the leadership that is currently in place now?

From this Home Media Retailing quote, is seems like it may have been the previous regime: "But since the deal was struck, investors had second thoughts about unraveling the MGM organization and in October approved the hiring of longtime media executive Harry Sloan as chairman and CEO. The studio subsequently announced it was getting back into movie production and now says it also will re-establish its worldwide television distribution efforts".

2) Does this distributorship deal affect all of MGM's titles, including their Bond and Rocky series? I was always under the impression that Sony owned MGM outright, and acquired them mostly for these two series in order to push their Blu-Ray technology. Clearly I was mistaken about the ownership issue, and, from what I see here a good number of other people appear confused as well.

In the end, I guess I'm just trying to figure out whether this move benefits the home video consumer or not, or is a wash.

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

If it means that the people in charge of deciding what comes out on DVD from Sony/MGM are still in charge, then this announcement is truly false hope.

11. Paul Arnette

JayE,

Yes, I concur. I guess that's what I was trying to figure out with question 1 above.

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I don't get this complaining either. Granted, the Midnight Cowboy transfer may not have been the greatest, but look at the amount of MGM product that Sony's been putting out lately, and the general quality of it, and there's really no substance to these complaints.

BTW, Sony people DO look at this forum, even if they don't participate in the discussion (with some of the commentary going on, who can blame them?).

13. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I'm somewhat confused by this news.

Hasn't Sony been calling the shots, so to speak, in regards to MGM's DVDs of late? The DVDs of catalog titles they've put out have almost had NO Trailers on them at all....something that basically happened only after Sony gained control of the MGM library.

Now it seems MGM is calling the shots on their DVDs again? I just don't understand it...it has to mean something or else why would they "end" their distribution deal with Sony to begin with?

14. Paul Arnette

Aaron,

JayE nailed it really. It isn't so much the quality of what they've put out, as much as it is what they've decided to put out.

Perception is reality, and my perception of Sony's treatment of MGM's catalog is one of numerous double-, triple-, and, in some cases, quadruple-dips, extended cuts with questionable director involvement at best, and ignoring the Midnite Movie line only to resurrect it with a higher price point and questionable pirate movies. I'm sure others would agree to.

15. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

Here's a Los Angeles Times story that explains some of what's going on behind the scenes.

MGM's ownership is as follows (source: MarketWatch.com):
    Providence Equity Partners 29%
    Texas Pacific Group 21%
    Sony 20%
    Comcast 20%
    DLJ Merchant Banking Partners 7%
    Quadrangle Group 3%

Here's an excerpt from the Wall Street Journal:

16. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

According to the article 50% is owned by private equity firms, 20% by Comcast and Sony, and another 10% by various financial institutions such as banks.

Fox may be blu-ray only but they are only distributing MGM films. Since MGM is making its catalog available to blu-ray, it suggests the Fox deal is SD only.
    It is possible that MGM could make it's catalog available to HD-DVD as well. 80% of the ownership of MGM has no financial interest in blu-ray or hd-dvd.
    60% are not even in the media business. Their natural instinct is to hedge their bets. That would mean making the catalog available to both sides.

17. Garysb

Garysb Producer

I guess this deal is similar to the Warner Bros. deal to distribute BBC shows in the US. Warners does not have any say about the BBC releases. At the chats when anyone asked about a BBC product the response was that Warners is just the distributor and had no input . I imagine the Fox deal will be similar.
    The people at MGM will decide what is released and what extras will be included.

I guess what is unknown is who has been in charge since the Sony deal. Everyone assumes it has been Sony . If it has always been MGM, then there may be no difference going forward between Sony distribution and Fox distribution.

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

from the Hollywood Reporter;

and this article would seem to indicate that the door is left open to HD DVD releases at some point- should that format prove viable.
    At least the door appears to be more open than two days ago when eeryone assumed that Sony had the MGM catalog in a vise grip

19. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

but I wonder what this means for older, not yet in print MGM catalog titles-if SONY still decides that part then we are still up sh*t creek with no paddles.

And I still think they are holding the Bonds for Blue ray exclusively, among other titles.

20. Guido Bibra

Guido Bibra Stunt Coordinator

It does make perfect sense, because Fox had the distribution rights to MGM-DVDs in Region 2 and 4 until about 2003 when MGM themselves took over. But the difference was just in the small print, unless you read the copyright notices you wouldn't have guessed the change.

I don't think this is going to change much in R1 - but does the new deal include other regions as well?