What's new

Fox Goes HDTV on Sept 12 2004 (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen the recent FOX HD games but it appeared at least the first game with Tampa and Washington that the primary camera angle looked like their old Fox Widescreen (480I)crap, but the end zone and sideline cameras were indeed HD....There was alot of noticeable EE from that angle, and it wasn't as detailed.

Or is FOX just making HD look bad by adding a bunch of artificial EE(for comparisons the CBS and ESPN HD looked much better from the main angle).....

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
As much as I try to keep up with all the lingo about HD, all I know that is watching ESPN Sunday Night Football compared to the HD football Fox is broadcasting (Seattle area, Tacoma Specifically), the ESPN broadcast is just amazing looking, while Fox, while nicer that SD, isn't nearly as clear or sharp.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
The Time Warner affliate here isn't carrying the Fox HD feed because Fox is charging a fee to broadcast the signal and that it's not true HD. The associate I spoke with told me they were just up-converting the signal...which seems odd since they are splashing the 720p claim during the telecasts.

Bruce

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
quote:The associate I spoke with told me they were just up-converting the signal...which seems odd since they are splashing the 720p claim during the telecasts.

See, I wondered about that - especially when comparing the telecasts with ESPN.

We can't get CBS in HD - something about Cox owing our CBS affiliate, and that Comcast is the only game in town.

AndrewFI

Grip
just to let u guys know,

Fox-HD is showing up on the Directv Online Guide on October 12 on Channels 86 & 87

smile.gif

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, Fox San Diego has been broadcasting 720p for quite some time now (though only true HD programming since September) and the NFL telecasts this month look AMAZING. ESPN, by comparison, has been pitiful. ESPECIALLY the MLB playoffs. The ESPN-HD playoffs are in not-so-good looking SD (in 4:3) and the Fox games have been widescreen 480p (I say 480p because the resolution doesn't seem to be there).

I'm wondering if the people here haven't been seeing proper Fox HD because something their cable company is doing to the signal, perhaps choking the bitrate down. The Fox broadcasts I've seen have been all over the air with my Sony KD-34XBR960's built in ATSC decoder.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Peter, my comparison was done OTA(living near Houston I get just about all the HD feeds OTA -- with a rabbit ears no less) And to sum it up, it looks like one camera(the main one) was the same as last year(480p(i) while the rest are true HD.......I was unable to check yesterday so will have to wait another week to see if it was something that was just for that particular game or if all the FOX games are like that.....

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was watching a rerun of the Simpsons on Fox HDTV. They actually cropped off the top and bottomn of the image to fit the 16x9 frame, instead of adding the bars to the sides.
furious.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
I just got Fox HD in my area. Can anyone update on audio/video problems with the feed? Are you still experiencing audio problems?

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
I have been watching it and didn't notice the audio loss on it so far.

I have an Hitachi RPTV. As I understand it, it upconverts the signal to 1080i. Should I let it do this or should I change it to go to 720p (if it does it) for a better picture?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone catch Star Wars (Ep I) on Fox HD? How hideous was that!?!?!?! It looks like they took the 2.35:1 movie, made it full frame (for regular broadcasting) and then took that P&S image and zoomed into it (i.e. cutting off the top and bottom to present it in HD.

It was like (actually it WAS) looking at 1/10th of the original movie! It was awful!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks