What's new

FOX: *gasp*, I beg you.. please!! (1 Viewer)

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Just read DVDFile's review of Star Wars AOTC and I'm utterly dismayed by the following:
All of the video-based extras here are presented in anamorphic widescreen, although in a real disappointment for the hearing impaired, no subtitle or caption options of any kind are provided.
I was estatic when I half heartedly popped in disc 2 of Episode One to check out the deleted scenes (I always watch them even though rarely any studio takes the time to make them accessible to me and other deaf & hard of hearing people) and discovered the whole disc to be captioned!!!

So I've been looking forward to Episode II in a big way cause this time I knew ahead of time I was gonna get to enjoy everything...

And then a crashing halt 10 minutes ago.... I'm near tears at this completely backwards move.

With the release date a mere month away, I don't have much hope but I'm praying that the advance review copies were faulty that they were not pressed with the captions...

If anyone knows the right email addresses or snail mail addresses for writing to the studio about my dismay. It's a real kick in the teeth. Even with all the recent news from Ron and the others about the studios having their hands tied by things we don't know about... I don't see how this one could have slipped through the cracks like this. If there's a good reason I'd desperately like to hear it in the hopes of easing this pain...

Megalion

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
With the release date a mere month away, I don't have much hope but I'm praying that the advance review copies were faulty that they were not pressed with the captions...
Full run copies. I'm sure this was an accidental ommision, a real shame. I was also extactic to find subtitles on there, because it helped on a few places where Ewan's accent was a tad thick

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
It looks like the film has captions & subtitles but very rarely does 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment include captions or subtitles for supplemental materials.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
But given that Lucasfilm did the disc, and episode 1 was chock full of subs/captions is the reason she's complaining

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I don't really know exactly how "rare" fox has done the job thoroughly...
I was surprised during a recent rewatch of ID4 where I actually popped the 2nd disc in this time, that the video based extras were in fact captioned!!
I guess when I discovered that Ep1 was captioned, I mistakenly thought that all the special edition stuff from Fox since then would be captioned too...
But off the top of my head I just can't think of what SEs have been out from Fox since then (have really cut back this whole past year and don't spend as much on news so it's not clearly imprinted in my brain :P)
But I've been reminded that Fox is just a distributor and it's really LucasFilms this thread should have been addressed to. Which may explain why I was really incorrect to assume that any future SEs from *FOX* would be thoroughly accessible.
So question still remains... why did LucasFilms NOT caption the 2nd disc like they did last time?
I've toyed with the idea of making a site to track exactly what dvds are accessible and which are not but I don't know how many other people would help in the effort to gather the info and I just don't have the time to track it all myself.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
As noted, Lucasfilm, not Fox, is responsible for the content of the discs. Fox is merely the distributor in this case, so it is fairly pointless to complain to them, and their previous track-record on their own discs isn't much use as a guide to any of the Star Wars films.

Regards,

Joe

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
Gee thanks Joe... and just how am I supposed to change the thread topic on my own?? I've already acknowledged that it's LucasFilms that's responsible for my disappointment, not Fox.

You even acknowledge that I acknowledge it... so do you get your rocks off in making posts that do nothing but restate the obvious and already said?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Megan_A_D said: said:
It is a good idea. No site is all-inclusive. If you were to do this, consider it a site like IMDB, where you put up whatever information you have, and it isn't always complete or completely accurate. I own over 1,000 DVD's and I'd be happy to help you populate the database -- especially for new releases.
Since we know 100% of Paramount's releases are fully accessible, that would also make it somewhat easy to maintain going forward. Just an idea if you really want to do it. Also, if you did it, I'd distribute the URL to a few hearing impaired/deaf folks, clubs, organizations, etc. Although in reality, even people for whom English isn't a first language enjoy the feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks