FOX: *gasp*, I beg you.. please!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Megan_A_D, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Megan_A_D

Megan_A_D Stunt Coordinator

Just read DVDFile's review of Star Wars AOTC and I'm utterly dismayed by the following:

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

It looks like the film has captions & subtitles but very rarely does 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment include captions or subtitles for supplemental materials.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

But given that Lucasfilm did the disc, and episode 1 was chock full of subs/captions is the reason she's complaining

5. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

6. Megan_A_D

Actually I don't really know exactly how "rare" fox has done the job thoroughly...
    I was surprised during a recent rewatch of ID4 where I actually popped the 2nd disc in this time, that the video based extras were in fact captioned!!
    I guess when I discovered that Ep1 was captioned, I mistakenly thought that all the special edition stuff from Fox since then would be captioned too...
    But off the top of my head I just can't think of what SEs have been out from Fox since then (have really cut back this whole past year and don't spend as much on news so it's not clearly imprinted in my brain [​IMG])
    But I've been reminded that Fox is just a distributor and it's really LucasFilms this thread should have been addressed to. Which may explain why I was really incorrect to assume that any future SEs from *FOX* would be thoroughly accessible.
    So question still remains... why did LucasFilms NOT caption the 2nd disc like they did last time?
    I've toyed with the idea of making a site to track exactly what dvds are accessible and which are not but I don't know how many other people would help in the effort to gather the info and I just don't have the time to track it all myself.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    As noted, Lucasfilm, not Fox, is responsible for the content of the discs. Fox is merely the distributor in this case, so it is fairly pointless to complain to them, and their previous track-record on their own discs isn't much use as a guide to any of the Star Wars films.

Regards,

Joe

8. Megan_A_D

Gee thanks Joe... and just how am I supposed to change the thread topic on my own?? I've already acknowledged that it's LucasFilms that's responsible for my disappointment, not Fox.

You even acknowledge that I acknowledge it... so do you get your rocks off in making posts that do nothing but restate the obvious and already said?

9. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

It is a good idea. No site is all-inclusive. If you were to do this, consider it a site like IMDB, where you put up whatever information you have, and it isn't always complete or completely accurate. I own over 1,000 DVD's and I'd be happy to help you populate the database -- especially for new releases.
    Since we know 100% of Paramount's releases are fully accessible, that would also make it somewhat easy to maintain going forward. Just an idea if you really want to do it. Also, if you did it, I'd distribute the URL to a few hearing impaired/deaf folks, clubs, organizations, etc. Although in reality, even people for whom English isn't a first language enjoy the feature.