What's new

FOX: Futurama R1 DVD? (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Now that the maroons over on the FOX TV side have cancelld the excellent Futurama, and given that DVDs are already out in R2, is there any reason not to release this show on DVD in R1?

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
The impression that I'm getting is that Fox hasn't cancelled Futurama. They are just going to use all of the un-aired episodes (due to football over-runs) to make up a 5th season.

This actually sucks even more for those frothing for a DVD (i.e. ME) because this will delay syndication, thus, the DVDs. If it WERE in fact cancelled all together, we'd probably have our discs much sooner.

I can tell you one thing, I am very less likely to give ANY new Fox show a look when I know that it will be cancelled/moved the moment after I grow attached to it.

Futurama, Family Guy, The Tick, Undeclared... Is it just ME? Do I have bad taste in TV shows? My wife might argue that I do. But I'M the male 18-35 who makes most of the money in the household. Maybe it IS me. Maybe I should just program my satellite receiver to skip over Fox completely. Hey, there's no HDTV content there anyway.

For the benefit of all members, I will NOT be checking out "Greg the Bunny" for fear that I may find it funny. Please feel free to enjoy it knowing that my "kiss of death" will not be in effect. Thank You.

C

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Is it just ME? Do I have bad taste in TV shows?
Chris, I don't think that you are the one with bad taste. If you look at FOX's TV efforts across the board, the words "taste" and "integrity" are not the first ones I think of.

Megan_A_D

Stunt Coordinator
NEW YORK (Variety) - The Cartoon Network is spending about $10 million to buy the cable-TV rights to the 72 half-hours of Twentieth TV's primetime animated series "Futurama."

Cartoon will schedule "Futurama" somewhere in its weekly Adult Swim animated block from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Sundays, starting in January. Established a year ago, the three-hour Sunday Adult Swim block has vaulted into the top 10 among all cable networks in the time period among men 18-to-34, the demographic target of the programming.

A Sunday-night success on the Fox Network since it debuted in March 1999, "Futurama" has slipped in the ratings in the last year or so. Fox hasn't made it official, but the show is unlikely to come back after it burns off its final original episodes during the 2002-03 season, where it's scheduled Sundays at 7 p.m. Each half-hour of "Futurama," created by Matt Groening ("The Simpsons ( news - Y! TV)") and David X. Cohen, costs well over $500,000 to produce.

Cartoon has the cable rights to "Futurama" for five years. But the deal is not exclusive: Syndicator Twentieth Television reserves the right to sell it in syndication if TV stations should show an interest at some point in buying the rerun episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks