Fox friday ratings.... Time to bring back John Doe...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Sep 23, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Fox's new Friday night lineup premiered this past Friday, and this is what the Futon Critic had to say about it ratings-wise:

"As expected, FOX's new Friday lineup arrived with a thud as the bows of "Wanda at Large" (4.1/7), "Luis" (3.3/6) and "Boston Public" (4.3/7) finished a combined fourth place for the night in the metered markets. All three were off a total of 31% from last year's fall openers of "Firefly" (4.9/8 on 9/20/02) and "John Doe" (6.8/12 on 9/20/02) with "Wanda" and "Boston" both posting their last watched first-run episodes to date. Among adults 18-49, "Wanda" (1.9) and "Luis" (2.0) finished dead last among the four major networks while "Boston" snagged a third place finish (2.3) according to fast national data. A year ago "Firefly" and "John Doe" won the night in the key demographic. Yes kids, it's the start of a long year for FOX on Friday nights."

Fox admit you screwed up and after Dominic Purcell finishes his work on Blade 3. Bring John Doe back as a mid-season replacement. (Ok, I know it will never happen. But, I can always dream).

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Heck, bring back "Firefly" while you're at it.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Dump the Fox network and let me have my independent stations back! [​IMG]

4. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

That is funny, especially since they have been hyping Boston Public non-stop forever. I don't even watch commercials that much and I still saw a ton for the Boston Public season opener!

I am convinced Fox just moved it to Friday to die a slow death. If they wanted to save it, they could have moved Boston Public to Tuesdays at 8, in the spot vacated by the cancelled "American Juniors".

5. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

A while back thefutoncritic gave a short history of Fox's Friday night performances. It essentially said that they never should have cancelled "Dark Angel". Ratings for the show were down, but still higher for anything else they've put on Fridays since then.

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Fox should just give every household a Tivo, that way they wouldn't have to worry about what night the shows aired. [​IMG]

Those numbers are pretty sad, especially for the hyped Boston Public (I too have seen TONS of ads for that season opener).

8. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    The ratings listed for John Doe and Firefly were for the premieres only. Didnt they significantly drop after that? If they hadn't they would still be here wouldnt they?

You know what this means? More reality shows from FOX.

I think they should end Boston Public with Jerri Ryans character being abducted and assimulated.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Firefly did pretty bad for a Friday night. You have to think of it from a $ view though. Firefly cost a ton more than Wanda At Large does, I'm sure of it.

11. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

They probably shouldn't even run original series Friday nights. It would probably be a better strategy to air re-plays of some of their current shows (like 24) or even cheap reality shows.

I think one of the reason HBO and other cable series are successful is because people know if they miss a show on Sunday night they can catch a replay at another time that is convenient for them. So instead of giving up on a show after missing an episode or two, you actually build loyalty to a series.

12. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'm guessing John Doe was a pretty cheap show to produce. No expensive actors. Not a lot of effects work or set-building. Probably way cheaper than Boston Public. Firefly, on the other hand, was surely more expensive than Wanda at large and Luis. So even if they're lower rated, it makes sense to keep them.

13. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The least Fox could do is give a 2 hour wrap up movie for Doe. It was their insistance that the show would continue that made the Producers have the cliffhanger.

14. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

they should just bring back Millennium.

15. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

16. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

17. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

THe first episode of the O.C. was re-shown twice. All later episodes were reshown once, except the last one, which wasn't re-shown at all.

Fox seems determined to kill every successful show they have for some reason.

18. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I think Fox is doing an "ABC" with Boston Public. ABC shifted their fairly popular David E. Kelley created The Practice to Monday nights where it plummeted in the ratings and made ABC wrongly cancel the show during the last few episodes of the season, forcing DEK to quickly re-write the last episode as if it were its "waive goodbye" to the fans.

Then they turn around and bring it back with a much smaller budget (and trimmed cast)... in its original Sunday Night line up with Alias!

The netorks are showing much more ignorance in how to market and place their prime time lineup. Really promising shows like The Family Guy, Futurama, John Doe, and Miracles get dumped without any kind of retooling or switch to a better time slot when they were marketed wrong in the first place and never given a chance.

If Fox had the same kind of mis-management as they do now then shows like The X-Files, The Simpsons, Married With Children (you could argue either way for that show) would have been canceled and scrapped after one or two seasons without the execs even blinking.

Dan

19. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

The Simpsons was also mis-managed. They put up against Cosby for season 2.

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Right. Fox is intentionally sabotaging a show it owns, broadcasts, and shoots on its own lot in order to... what? Gain leverage for negotiating with themselves? If you're going to allege a conspiracy, you need a motive.

I'm pretty sure that ABC's reasoning for moving The Practice was to give the new shows they were trying to launch after Monday Night Football wrapped for the year lead-ins, rather than just putting them all on Monday. So Dragnet got an Alias lead-in and Miracles would hope to get people to stick around after The Practice. This didn't work out, but the idea was sound (though maybe the two should have been switched).