FOX-- Ferngully in OAR or NO SALE!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hitchman, Dec 4, 2001.

1. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I just finished reading on the software section that Ferngully (Fox) and Universal's Balto will not be released to DVD with their proper widescreen aspect ratios.
    This is getting ridiculous.
    I thought Fox had left behind this pan and scan/open matte only crap when Mr. Staddon stepped in and Fox started asking for consumer input (all good things since we now have more DTS and anamorphic enhanced widescreen).
    I will be simple and blunt, once again...
    NO OAR = NO SALE.
    Please at least give us the option of watching these types of films in their correct aspect ratios, but don't lock us out by releasing full frame or cropped versions only.
    What about those consumers with widescreen HDTV's??
    Dan

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Can't speak for anyone else of course, but personally…

If "Ferngully" is OAR, I will purchase it.

If it's pan and scan, I will not.

Simple as that.

3. Glennica

Glennica Agent

Why bother to release any film in a butchered format?

Give us OAR for EVERY TITLE!

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I didn't post on this when I saw it announced because I couldn't find the OAR information for these titles, however, it disturbs me greatly that FOX of all studios is releasing MAR only product.

It's a shame. I usually make it a point to buy new Fox DVDs. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

6. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If this is true, this will be the one sin that Fox has not committed before- releasing a DVD in pan and scan that was available previously on LASERDISC in widescreen!! This movie is under 90 minutes long, so there's no reason not to put BOTH versions on the SAME disc!!!

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    NO OAR = NO SALE!

I hope Peter Staddon sees this!

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    This is probably a dual-format release.

Fox has both the colorized and B&W versions of those Shirley Temple movies, so that seems to be no problem.

I don't buy DVD's without the correct ratio (Besides Ben-Hur), and I won't buy this even if it was 1.85:1 like it should be.

Ferngully is crap, but even crap needs OAR.

10. Dan Hitchman

I'm sure there are more forum members who feel strongly about OAR on all films!

Dan

11. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I also noticed this, and started a thread in the Software forum, but after a lot of searching on the net I kind of came to the conclusion that Ferngully's OAR is actually 1.33:1. IMDB doesn't list it's AR, and neither does any other website. We have the VHS and there is no mention of it being resized and it looks like the titles were made for 1.33:1 as well.

However, if there was an LD in widescreen then I am angry (again) that Fox would do this!

Peter, please respond and calm our fears!

Thanks,

Chris.

12. Dan Hitchman

Chris,

Ferngully was shown theatrically at either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 widescreen. It's been awhile since I saw the movie, but it was indeed drawn to be shown in widescreen at commercial theaters.

OAR or definitely a no buy! I can't believe they couldn't at least have both a widescreen and so-called "full screen" version on the disc since it's so short.

If this info. is accurate Fox has left a sour taste in my mouth. What film will be non-OAR next then? Are they on the road to ruin like Warner Brothers and now Universal?

Dan

13. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

No OAR, no sale. Period.

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The laserdisc is about 1.66:1, and the movie is VERY short- even with it all in CAV format it only takes up 3 sides. (There was also a pan and scan LD in CLV format.)

15. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I always found Furngully to be a rather delightful little film, and a nice looking one at that, I remember even my PAL VHS copy looked realy nice so obviously an anamorphic widescreen transfer would be high in demand from me.

I hope it doesn't come to pass that the disc is full frame for no good reason.

Dan (UK)