What's new

Fox: EYEWITNESS (1981) (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Just viewed this longtime favorite, for the first time in widescreen, on Fox Movie Channel last night, and it really whetted my appetite for a DVD release of this fine mystery/romance starring William Hurt and Sigourney Weaver.

The stellar supporting cast includes Christopher Plummer, James Woods, Kenneth McMillan, Pamela Reed, Irene Worth, Morgan Freeman, and Steven Hill. This is an amazing collection of talents for one film. I'd go so far as to say one of the best casts of the decade.

The film also reunites the writer and director team responsible for the award-winning BREAKING AWAY. In EYEWITNESS, director Peter Yates and writer Steve Tesich turn their sights on New York, and the story of a sensitive janitor (William Hurt) who pretends to be an eyewitness to a murder, in order to get close to the tv newswoman (Sigourney Weaver) he loves from afar.

I would love to see an anamorphic, OAR DVD release with a fine transfer, but commentary and a documentary with retrospective cast and crew interviews would be a wonderful addition for this film. Unfortunately, Steve Tesich is no longer with us, but it would be very interesting to hear Peter Yates' recollections of working with him on several occasions. The two collaborated once more on 1985's ELENI.

Please consider this title for DVD Fox. It's an excellent film with a first rate script and cast that's ripe for rediscovery on DVD.

Jon

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
If you're searching the Internet for any mention of this movie and/or DVD, you might want to know that it was theatrically released under the title "The Janitor" in some countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks