What's new

Fox Executive's prediction on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

It's only a big boost if the majority of folks who buy the PS3 do so in order to buy/watch Blu-ray movies. Somehow I doubt that will be the case.

Vincent

Rob_Walton

Second Unit
Considering the current average age of gamers and the survey that found 60% of early owners of the 360 had an HDTV (with 10% buying their new set with the console) I'd say the PS3 is set to have an impact on the HighDef market. Looking at the studio statements from Fox and WB they apparently think the same, and I'm assuming they have access to more accurate and thourough data than any of us.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

I was going to ask about that. I thought I read that this "Durabis coating" was currently not being used, but I wasn't certain.

Is this really the case? And if so, why? When WILL it be used? Be kinda nice to have this clarified.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Well, I'm not certain because the retail Blu-ray discs I've tested seem pretty darn sturdy (hard to scratch).

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I didn't try to scratch the BR discs I received ( :) ), but The Terminator 2 JD came floating loose in its case. It wasn't scratched (visually, and unfortunately I cannot check it functionally for lack of a BD-player).

But yes, I read a statement, some weeks ago, that the layer wasn't used after all (can't remember the reason). I remember thinking: hey, first they were supposed to need a caddy, then the caddy was dropped because of the new layer, and now they don't need the layer? Could be a case of progressing insight. :)

Cees

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Removed for being out of context. I was reading page 2 of this thread when I posted.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I've been watching the gaming industry for many, many years now. The "buzz", if you will, is that the Wii is going to kick the PS3's ass. Now, PERSONALLY, I'm a big Playstation fan, but the price of the PS3 is enough to make ME scoff at it. I can afford it, sure, but do I WANT to spent $600 on a gaming machine?

As for the BR aspect, I don't watch movies upstairs on my small HD set, and I don't play games on my 9' screen downstairs, so right there, the PS3 will NOT be a BR player for me. I suspect that some people might watch movies and play games on the same TV, but are those TVs HD? If not, are people going to drop $1k on a TV just for HD? There's a LOT of money involved in this bet that the PS3 is going to help BR. I personally don't see that being the case in the sense that Fox seems to think it will.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

Replace PS3 with XBOX 360 and you can see what they were asking last year.

I swear, it seems no one plans for the future anymore. You think the PS3 will stay at its price for the next 5 years? Are we still paying $999 for DVD players without progressive scan? Was DVD a monster hit in 1997 or did it take a couple years to gain traction? I guess I was in a parallel universe where LaserDisc owners were scoffing at the quality of the initial DVD titles (artifacts! inferior sound! etc)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

No, but it'll probably be at the same price for 18 months at least, more than likely up to 2 years.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

There's no competion yet.
Components still cost what they do.
It hasn't been a year yet.

Rumors has a price drop coming. Personally I doubt it, it's too early and still expensive for Microsoft. But all price drops haven't been announced until the last possible second. Guess we'll know mid-November-ish.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

Rumors point to a price drop in November to compete with the Wii and PS3 release.

Also count me into the camp which believes Sony has shot itself in the foot with the PS3 'hype'. Developers are less then thrilled with the recent final dev. kits; EA recently let slip they were only giving Sony 20% development, compared to 40% respectivley for Wii and the 360; a lot of ps3 titles are getting canceled or being moved to multiconsole status with the 360; not to mention a terrible E3 presence and that price tag.

Also with the lackluster Blu Ray titles from Sony, I don't see Blu Ray looking any more appealing then UMD movies.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
Maybe, but Microsoft's console gaming division is still in the hole from the first Xbox, and they are still taking a loss on every Xbox 360 (which is nothing unusual). I'm sure they're comfortable enough being $100 cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks