What's new

Fox - ever hear of Susan Hayward (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
After Marilyn Monroe, Susan Haywayrd was Foxs biggest female star in the fifties. It amazesme how litle of her work is on video at all, much less DVD.
The most important Fox films:
Soldier of Fortune,
With a Song in My Heart
Garden of evil (withan incredible Bernard Herrmann score)
this film is run on Fox movies panned and scanned in true stereo and letterbox in fake stereo ( the pan and scan was done much later after the true stereo tracks had been found)
Snows of Kilimanjero ( which fell in public domain and is available everywhere in really lousy copies. )
David and Bathsheba (current master on Cinemax is missing some footage that was on the laser version!)
Untamed with Tyrone Power (YES!)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I completely agree with your choices.
Susan Hayward never looked more beautiful than she did during her Fox years.

Other Fox titles of hers worthy of a DVD release include,

"RAWHIDE" a great suspenseful western. I hated it as a kid, but grew to appreciate it in later years.

"THE PRESIDENT'S LADY" (fabulous Alfred Newman Score)

"MY FOOLISH HEART" (with Victor Young's haunting music)

Unfortunately most of her other Fox vehicles were pretty much routine.

Of all the titles mentioned, I would have thought that maybe the ever popular "WITH A SONG IN MY HEART" and the cult Western "GARDEN OF EVIL" would have the best chance of success on DVD.

By the way, I love Franz Waxman's music for "UNTAMED"

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
It's ironic that after all of these years we now have the film scores on CD (tanks to Film Score Monthly) but we don't have the films!

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Joe,
I remember reading many years ago, that all of the Fox Magnetic Stereo masters were lost forever.
I know I was shocked when I heard that Carousel would never be heard in Stereo.

But now thank God, they all seem to have surfaced again either on TV Prints, CDs, Laserdiscs or DVDs.

Were you responsible for finding any of them?
Where were they?

It's a wonderful experience to hear once again the amazing 20th Century Fox Orchestra in breathtaking Stereophonic Sound.

Thank you Fox, for releasing the Cinemascope titles in full majestic Stereo. (and Anamorphic widescreen)
Please keep 'em coming.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Come on Fox! Full restorations are in order of these important classics. Perhaps you might have some interested parties under your very noses on this forum.
Do I hear takers?
:D
Dan

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
In answer to Doug Bull - fox, luckily kept most, but not all of its stereo masters - some key things are missing - love Me Tender, The Girl Can't Help It - Hemingways adventures of a Young Man.
I wish Fox would remaster Love is a Many Splendored thing (in 4.0 - current DVD is two channel) and Affair to Remember (great looking picture but the sound is AWFUL, the old laser sounds great but looks terrible.)
Would love to see an anamorphic 4.0 version of Peyton Place and From the Terrace.
How about the Egyptian, Story of ruth, Prince Valiant, Rains of Rancipur, Three Coins in the Fountain and all those other great Cnemascope films?
The studio that DID lose most of its stereo tracks was Warner Brothers- they recoevered many of them but again, key titles are still missing stereo tracks- Auntie Mame, Giant, Calamity Jane

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Joe,
I'm quite suprised "Calamity Jane" was originally recorded in Stereo. Was it planned for a Roadshow release?

Do you know if "The Pajama Game" and "Damn Yankees" were ever recorded in Stereo and if so, are they among the lost Warner tracks.
I have always been curious why these two musicals, that were released in matted format, around the time of the early Magnetic track Cinemascope features, have never been available in Stereo on Video.

Oh what I wouldn't give to see and hear "PRINCE VALIANT" again in Anamorphic Widescreen and 4,0 Dolby Digital Stereo. HOW ABOUT IT FOX!!

What ever happened to Robert Wagner's Spectacular Western "White Feather"?
I don't think it has ever been seen again since it's original theatrical release.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
There are prints of Damn Yankees and Pajama Game in stereo in "Private Hands"- the Damn Yankees stereo print I saw was in terrible shape and couldnot be used for video transfer. There are also two private stereo prints of Auntie Mame and at least three private prints of Giant in stereo.
calamity Jane in stereo is not so surprising. in 1953, before the onslaught of mag stereo Cinemascope, there were at leasat 60 films in interlock stereo. Calamity Jane was one of them. ( still running in interlock stereo in upstate New York as late as 1966!)
The studio also has a private print of Calamity that has two extra numbers! Too bad they couldn't be included on the new DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks