What's new

Fox dumping Sat. Morning Cartoons for Ads (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well considering they have'nt made decent cartoons in 20 years it's no loss.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It's really sad to see Saturday Morning cartoons die like that, no thanks to the FCC.

I thought the book was really closed when the Kids WB name was no more.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I remember as a kid in the late seventies/early eighties. Getting excited when the new fall season cartoons were about to begin. They would even have primetime previews of the new lineups the night before. I even remember once going to bed with a tv guide that had checks next to all of the shows I wanted to watch.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I remember that time too, Todd. I especially remember anticipating the new Cartoon Preview in TV Guide magazine. I remember nearly every Saturday in the mid to late seventies getting up early in the morning to make sure I didn't miss any cartoons. I can still remember seeing the last few minutes of the "farm report" that the local channel aired before the start of the cartoons in the morning.

Speed Buggy
Bugs Bunny / Road Runner Hour
Laff Olympics
Grape Ape
Scooby-Doo
Super Friends
Dynomutt (and the Blue Falcon)
Fat Albert
Hong Kong Phooey
Jabberjaw

I know I'm forgetting some, but off the top of my head, those are the ones I remember enjoying.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Even the "After These Messages" were memorable, especially with the dog and fire hydrant on ABC.

*sings* After these messages, we're be right back!

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah! And the "Hankerin' for a hunk o' cheese" guy, too! And let's not forget Captain O.G. Readmore!

*sigh* Those were the days.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Given the profusion of cable channels for children, this was inevitable. The sad thing is, with so much programming out there for kids, none of it is as special as when we had to wait all week to see our favorite cartoons.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Laugh o Lympics, Bugs Bunny, Shirt Tales, Smurfs..
Hell, what happened to after-school cartoons? I used to race the hell home for Transformers & GI Joe (and I was in middle school then)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Stations realized that producing ten local newscasts a day was only marginally more expensive than producing two at the same time that cable networks that specialized in children's entertainment came into being.

Things are still special, just in a different way.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I remember getting up just as early for Saturday cartoons as I did for school! What the hell are kids going to do at 7 am now?
They need to show repeats of THE TICK and the original TMNT. Those were the days.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Read?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I suppose they could turn to Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, NickToons, Disney, Boomerang, Toon Disney, etc. Go with the guys who specialize in kids' programming rather than those who dabble in it. Or maybe pop in one of their favorite DVDs.

Real Name
Duh.
When was the last time any of these stations ran a cartoon worth watching?

Bad plots, more childish than needed anything, lousey synthasized scores, poor writing and voicing talent, and often no moral center.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
No big loss for me (or most parents, I suspect).

My toddler watches a steady diet of cartoons on Noggin with a sprinkle of Sprout and Curious George. Her newest fave is Noggin's Toot & Puddle, about two pigs who visit other countries (incidentally, Toot & Puddle sounds like English slang for diarreah. Like, "I ate those day old eggs and now I got meself a case of the ol' toot & puddle").

Not only are all of these show educational, but in the case of Noggin, no product commercials! No, "daddy, can you buy me that?" requests! Oddly, Sprout, the PBS kids channel shows product commercials between shows, but Noggin, the Nickelodeon kids channel, does not (they do show promos for other shows, but not for products). We usually watch the Sprout shows On Demand to skip the commercials. It's amazing how much programming Comcast gives you On Demand for free (well, for no additional charge, that is).

todd s

Senior HTF Member
While my son does watch a lot of modern cartoons (ie-Ben 10 & Sponge Bob). He does enjoy watching some old classics such as Popeye, Tom & Jerry and even the Wacky Racers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks