What's new

Fox does not own the DVD rights to "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis"? (1 Viewer)

LCD22

Screenwriter
I emailed Fox Home Entertainment to request "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" and I got back this response:

Then again, I also did this when I was half-asleep. I thought Fox owns the rights to this show (that and Max Shulman's estate, who was the creator of the show).

LCD22

Screenwriter
I thought I would check if you heard anything different. Fox still owns this?

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Chris, can you send me the e-mail address to Fox? I want to ask them about Peyton Place (the series)!!

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. Yes, it is still owned by FOX. Why they told you otherwise I have no idea. You probably spoke to some 22 year old that knows nothing (actually that's redundant). What I also learned that's interesting is, at least for syndication, Life of Riley is distributed domestically by Warner and overseas by Fox. What that means for home video I have no idea. Not that they would ever consider doing it anyway.

Hey! I resent that! There ARE people under 25 that read this, ya know. As for Dobie Gillis (yes I do remember it from Nick at Nite), tvshowsondvd lists it as being a Fox title, but that doesn't mean its fact, I guess. I really would love to see it on dvd, along with other early Nick at Nite shows like Donna Reed, Patty Duke and Car 54 Where Are You?.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
My source is the current syndication (BIB) book which lists all shows available for broadcast and the distributors.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
We pretty much take whatever IMDB has as the "company credits" for a show as the default. When we hear of a deal being made with someone else, or rights being reverted, we try to get around to changing it but don't always remember to do so until we're putting in a DVD release listing.

See, I just now went and changed Twin Peaks from "Artisan" to "Paramount". :D

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator
According to IMBD the show's distributors is CBS Television. Does this mean that the shows DVD rights fall under Paramount’s jurisdiction?

LCD22

Screenwriter

Charles Ellis, did you get the "... not distributed through 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. Please contact the correct studio" response on "Peyton Place"?

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Idiots? They're the best, according to what the posters on this forum think. Hey, they've put out all of what, 2 shows from the 50s and 60s (Lost In Space, Time Tunnel) with 2 more on the way (VTTBOS and Big Valley). They don't even know they own Dobie Gillis. That's hysterical. It was only their most successful television sitcom for the longest time.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Amazon has a page up for "Dobie Gillis". It's not available to order, and the box where you type in your e-mail address, to be notified when to pre-order, isn't up yet. Right now there's just information on the series and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

I also thought this was a good excuse for bumping this thread up.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Dobie Gillis is one of a number of old TV series I discovered and enjoyed from cable TV reruns in the 1980s...in this case, CBN Cable.

It was one on the most outstanding sitcoms I've ever seen, because it's so well staged and acted! Dwayne Hickman got some stardom from The Bob Cummings Show in the last half of the 1950s, but from 1959 to 1963 Dobie Gillis put him over the top....even if he was unable to remain a star after it ended (other than a Beach Party movie).

The late Bob Denver was much more believeable as beatnik Maynard G. Krebs (the G was for "William") than he would later be as Gilligan. To Maynard the word "work" was like profanity, man! :D

LCD22

Screenwriter

You can now sign-up at Amazon for "Dobie Gillis", whether or not Fox will take notice, is not matter. It's been said in the past by Dave or Gord, I can't remember which, that Amazon doesn't really notify the studios as they say they do when you provide your e-mail address to them, but maybe that's changed since then.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

The best part of "Dobie Gillis" that I enjoyed (or what I best remember) is Dwayne Hickman's monologues he gives in front of Rodin's The Thinker.

LCD22

Screenwriter
Sorry to bump this up, but I've edited my post above and I wanted to make sure "Dobie Gillis" fans know that you can now sign-up at Amazon.com (if you choose to).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks