What's new

Fox confims 24 to return (1 Viewer)

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Fox today said that Keifer Southerland will be returning to his role in 24, which is coming back to the network. It will only be 12 episodes, not 24 and air consecutive like before. When asked how they will handle real time, they said it will follow the main events of the day during those 24 hours, but not every hour. It's said to be more heavy plot and action without the fat and filler from doing 24 episodes.

Most fans hated when the show had those dragging areas, so this seems to be a huge win for fans of the show like myself. I can't wait to see it return.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jeffery_H said:
It's said to be more heavy plot and action without the fat and filler from doing 24 episodes.
I made a similar comment in another thread but that's a crock. I couldn't be happier to see the show return but it has nothing to do with wanting to get rid of the filler episodes- they just don't want to spend the money on making 24 episodes. If they're skipping hours, the show will be just like it was in the later seasons where they came up with a story that lasted 4 or 5 episodes, it got worked out and then the next episode had to set up the next threat/story & everyone griped about it being slow.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I made a similar comment in another thread but that's a crock. I couldn't be happier to see the show return but it has nothing to do with wanting to get rid of the filler episodes- they just don't want to spend the money on making 24 episodes. If they're skipping hours, the show will be just like it was in the later seasons where they came up with a story that lasted 4 or 5 episodes, it got worked out and then the next episode had to set up the next threat/story & everyone griped about it being slow.
I gave up on this after 3-4 seasons, but this mini-version might be worth it.

Looks like Sutherland is being stereotyped into the "Jack Bauer" character, haven't heard of much success in anything else he's tried.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it will be nice to see Jack Bauer back on TV, being the badass that he is, plus I hope he gets a much happier ending than what he really got at the end of season 8. But on the other hand, the season can drag after a while and has gotten boring, as 2 of the last 3 seasons have shown.

Just have to wait and see.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
TravisR said:
Frankly, depending on how it's done, it could make a lot of sense.. "Oh, Jack has to fly from Seattle to LA..." pick up next week 2 hours later instead of 1. I mean, nothing is happening but Jack on a plane reading magazines... there are ways to do this that could work very well, we'll have to wait and see

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is great news.

Never thought I would see 24 return as a TV show before a movie
would be made.

I think it is a rather good idea to do the 12 episodes. The 24 episodes
were getting awfully dull.

...and yes, the big motivation for cutting down episodes was cost. It
was no secret that this show was costing the network lots of money
to produce.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
This is great news. I watched seasons 1 and 2 with my 15 year old daughter duirng Chistmas break. Now we can finish the other seaons in preparation for Jack's return.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
TravisR said:
In that way, skipping time is cool because they can go anywhere in the country or even go international (though that seems unlikely) within one season.
Yes, the possibilities are endless, and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

My only problems with the last couple of seasons had nothing to do with filler but everything to do with plots from previous seasons being recycled (a mole within the unit, switching loyalties in midstream, new head of CTU trying to contain Jack).

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I'm glad 24 will be back, and I'm looking forward to this new version of the show.

One recent fact I uncovered, that I had no idea, is that "Bauer" is a character from the first filmed episode of La Femme Nikita show, played by 24 alumni Tobin Bell.

A double agent infiltrated into terrorists groups, he plays both sides, not hesitating to kill innocent people to keep his cover. This is not from episode 1 of La Femme Nikita, but episode 6 which is the first filmed episode.

I also read that 24 was originaly considered for a lone vehicle for LFN character Michael, and that, obviously, the producers channeled the ruthless character Operations into Jack Bauer's.

Both shows have the same producers and writers and team, including many actors. LFN predates 24 by 5 years.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I think everyone knows Jack Bauer doesn't read magazines on an airplane.

As for the news at hand...meh. I'll probably watch it, but with expectations that it will be as terrible as the last 3 seasons were.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm in. Though I wouldn't have minded 12 2-hour episodes.

I understand the concept of cost-cutting and I'm fairly confident they'll handle the time element in a good way. But I don't recall too many of those time-dragging filler episodes. That might be selective memory. :biggrin:

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
One thing to remember, the show was originaly supposed to be half a season too, as if you watch season 1, you can see there is a 12 episodes story, and then it starts all over again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
HDvision said:
One thing to remember, the show was originaly supposed to be half a season too, as if you watch season 1, you can see there is a 12 episodes story, and then it starts all over again.
That was because they were originally given a 12 episode order (plus the pilot) so they plotted out those first 13 episodes to have some closure if they didn't get to make the other 11 episodes.

That being said, every season 'ran out' of the original story and then had to shift something new (like the conspirators behind the first story's conspiracy or the allies of the first bad guys have a Plan B set up). Early seasons kinda had two somewhat connected stories but by the end of the series, there wasn't much connection between the threat at the beginning of the season and the one at the end.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
as long as Aaron shows up.I was a bit upset he didn't make it into the final season - the only other character to be in all the prior seasons.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
It was my impression from the article I read that it was a one off, but I could have misinterpreted.

I'm fine with a 12 ep season. I agree that often had to have filler back stories to fill the time and that dragged the quality of the show down (kim v mountain lion springs immediately to mind)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Paul!
(kim v mountain lion springs immediately to mind)
I have to laugh every time that is brought up. The writers are never going to
be forgiven or made to forget that outrageous storyline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks