What's new

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18! (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I was starting to feel really good about Fox Cinema Archives for releasing a rarity like "Danger Has Two Faces" -- but then they retread a Mr. Moto title?? (And I have the perfectly good Mr. Moto boxset.) WTF??! What are they, Universal Vault now??!
If they can make some more money for their archive program by rereleasing some prior box set titles, I'm fine with it. As long as they keep new titles coming . . .

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
But that's just it, Joe. If they're only going to crank out two titles a month, and they're going to clog the pipeline with retreads, that minimizes our access to fresh titles that haven't seen light of day on DVD. That's what Universal does. I've already bought the Mr. Moto box sets; you can still get each set off Amazon for about $24. Why on earth would anyone buy a single Mr. Moto title for about $20? How is this a smart business model for these MOD programs?

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Come on FOX, you said last year we'd be getting "Girls Demand Excitement" 1st quarter 2016. What's the holdup? Lots of John Wayne fans out here dying to see this previously thought lost film.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Come on FOX, you said last year we'd be getting "Girls Demand Excitement" 1st quarter 2016. What's the holdup? Lots of John Wayne fans out here dying to see this previously thought lost film.
I'm up for it! Now if Universal could only find and release it's mid-30s Wayne titles . . .

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I'm up for it! Now if Universal could only find and release it's mid-30s Wayne titles . . .

That would be beyond awesome! I have 5 of the 6 films, in less than stellar shape on DVD. There is one presumed lost (Adventure's End), but who knows what Universal might find, if they ever decided to release these titles to the public.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
March 8 title -

71PpYJtgs2L._SY500_.jpg

I'm not sure why it's currently priced at $29.95 at Amazon. Description doesn't mention any episodes included of The Custer TV series - the feature film is just an extended pilot episode.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
ugh... down to one title every two weeks... ? :(

Since they'd been cranking out Maury Dexter titles, I'm hoping they unearth The High Powered Rifle.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The Maury Dexter title I want is WOMANHUNT (1962), about a detective searching LA's Chinatown for a missing woman.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ugh... down to one title every two weeks... ? :(

Since they'd been cranking out Maury Dexter titles, I'm hoping they unearth The High Powered Rifle.

Allison Hayes! Yes.
24928-ea4542529fa72a7bb6e678a89c59baf3.jpg

Attachments

• High Powered Rifle 3.JPG
    High Powered Rifle 3.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 92

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
There are some great titles which Fox could release (hopefully in their OAR)
CRACK IN THE MIRROR (Orson Welles)
SIERRA BARON
CLAUDIA (Dorothy McGuire- they have released the sequel)
HOW TO BE VERY, VERY POPULAR (Betty Grable)
CLUNY BROWN (Jennifer Jones)
THE 13TH LETTER (Linda Darnell)
THE ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA (John Derek, recently restored)
THE RACERS (Kirk Douglas)
THE DEEP BLUE SEA (Vivien Leigh)
PRINCE OF PLAYERS (Richard Burton)
tHE BLUE ANGEL (Mai Britt)
SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD (Richard Egan)
THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD (Richard Egan)
THAT LADY (Olivia deHavilland)
BERNADINE (Pat Boone)
THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER (Jane Russell)
TEN NORTH FREDERICK (Gary Cooper)
A CERTAIN SMILE (Joan Fontaine)
NO DOWN PAYMENT (Joanne Woodward) etc
Some of these have been released overseas, others have never come out in any Home Video format. It seems a pity to recycle titles which can still be purchased as pressed dvds and release a succession of obscure B pictures,when there is still so many titles such as those cited above that could be released in the USA for the first time.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
There are some great titles which Fox could release (hopefully in their OAR)
CRACK IN THE MIRROR (Orson Welles)
SIERRA BARON
CLAUDIA (Dorothy McGuire- they have released the sequel)
HOW TO BE VERY, VERY POPULAR (Betty Grable)
CLUNY BROWN (Jennifer Jones)
THE 13TH LETTER (Linda Darnell)
THE ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA (John Derek, recently restored)
THE RACERS (Kirk Douglas)
THE DEEP BLUE SEA (Vivien Leigh)
PRINCE OF PLAYERS (Richard Burton)
tHE BLUE ANGEL (Mai Britt)
SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD (Richard Egan)
THE VIEW FROM POMPEY'S HEAD (Richard Egan)
THAT LADY (Olivia deHavilland)
BERNADINE (Pat Boone)
THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER (Jane Russell)
TEN NORTH FREDERICK (Gary Cooper)
A CERTAIN SMILE (Joan Fontaine)
NO DOWN PAYMENT (Joanne Woodward) etc
Some of these have been released overseas, others have never come out in any Home Video format. It seems a pity to recycle titles which can still be purchased as pressed dvds and release a succession of obscure B pictures,when there is still so many titles such as those cited above that could be released in the USA for the first time.

My guess is that most of these films are in very poor condition and Fox won't pay for decent restorations.
Ten North Frederick, however, is available on a very good German DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
According to classicflix.com the Fox Archives will release a MOD of Blue Denim (1959) on April 5th. No word yet if it will be anamorphic wide screen. Keeping fingers crossed.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
This is good news. However, I am still hoping for a Twilight Time Blu-ray, since they would present Bernard Herrmann's great score on an isolated audio track.

Here's hoping that the MOD will be in CinemaScope.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
According to classicflix.com the Fox Archives will release a MOD of Blue Denim (1959) on April 5th. No word yet if it will be anamorphic wide screen. Keeping fingers crossed.

Amazon is showing date March 15. They have another title coming on the same day -

61mRPFnJSJL._SY500_.jpg

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Classic Flix shows widescreen for the MOD of BLUE DENIM. They're usually correct about aspect ratios-not always, but usually.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'd be up for a quality release of "No Down Payment" great forgotten potboiler, with great cast.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Great news re BLUE DENIM and that one website store is stating that it will be in anarmorphic wide screen. Black and white CinemaScope cinematography in the '50's and '60's was often startlingly good. (Originally, anyone utilizing CinemaScope from Fox had to commit to color, thus REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE had to be restarted. I believe the first movie in b+w 'Scope was TEENAGE REBEL with Ginger Rogers.
Re the titles I listed above being unrestored or unusable-
SIERRA BARON was recently released (Pan/Scan) in Spain and plays on FMC in the same ratio.
A good print of CLAUDIA is broadcast on FMC.
THE ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA has been restored and was screened at the Venice Film Festival in 2013
An HD restored version of SEVEN CITIES OF GOLD is in existence.
A reasonably good LBX transfer of THE RACERS is broadcast on FMC
A 35mm CinemaScope print of THE DEEP BLUE SEA was shown at a festival in England a few years ago.
A 1.85:1 Wide Screen HD version of NO DOWN PAYMENT has been broadcast in recent years.
A Pan/Scan print of PRINCE OF PLAYERS plays on FMC and an HD screenings have also taken place.
A good Pan/Scan print of THE BLUE ANGEL has played on FMC in recent years
A 2.35:1 LBX transfer of THE REVOLT OF MAMIE STOVER was released in France (in stereo)
A flawless 2.35:1 anarmorphic transfer of TEN NORTH FREDERICK has been released in Germany
Acceptable Pan/Scan versions of HOW TO BE VERY,VERY POPULAR and BERNADINE have shown up on FMC
I didn't even think of BLUE DENIM when I compiled that list. Fox Archives releasing it in Wide Screen is encouraging me not to completely give up hope on this (generally very disappointing) label.

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BLUE DENIM is available to order from Amazon.com (at full price). Has anyone ordered a copy? If so, please let followers of this topic know if it is truly in 16:9 CinemaScope and if the sound is stereo or mono. Waiting with bated breath. .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks