1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Fox Cinema Archives Debuts 18 New Classic Films on DVD starting March 18!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    Centennial Summer had a scheduled blu-ray release date (8.12.14) through Twilight Time, but was cancelled last minute due to rights issues of some sort. Several other HTF members and I have inquired regarding status, however, I have yet to see a reply.

Agreed on your other titles. I'll add Billy Rose's Diamond Horseshoe and When My Baby Smiles at Me.

2. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Fox never seems to run out of ways to disappoint its customers. My particular gripe has to do with the seven Michael Shayne mysteries which Fox made with Lloyd Nolan. In 2007 Fox released Michael Shayne Mysteries Vol. 1, a very nice set which includes four of the seven titles and some worthwhile extras. Nine years later, and there still is no sign of Vol. 2. Fox had previously released a single DVD of Dressed to Kill in 2005, but that still left Just Off Broadway and Time to Kill. I had figured that Vol. 2 would includes those two films and Dressed to Kill, and perhaps some more extras. I would have happily double-dipped on Dressed to Kill in order to get the other two.

Flash forward to 2014 and Fox finally releases Just Off Broadway as part of the Cinema Archives series. I can see the handwriting on the wall - Vol. 2 is never going to happen - so I buy Just Off Broadway for $20, figuring that certainly Time to Kill will follow and I'll finally have the entire series. Another year has passed and still no Time to Kill, even though Just Off Broadway has sold well enough to garner quite a few positive reviews at Amazon.

At this point I'd be happy if Fox would just show Time to Kill on the Fox Movie Channel so I could burn a DVD-R of it.

Incidentally, Michael Shayne Mysteries Vol. 1 is currently available at Amazon for $6, which is a bargain for a really nice set.

3. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Really not sure why they are dragging their heels on Time to Kill. It was one of the best ones.

But I seriously doubt they pay much attention to the MOD sales. Fox Archives seems to just throw whatever it can on the wall and sees what sticks.

I've been slow on this news, but all the titles released as part of this look great. Unlike the Fox Archives, the titles included here are fresh scans and even HD to boot. Better than risking $20 for a dud transfer, that's for sure. If only whoever was in charge of this was in charge of the MOD line as well...

4. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    Seems like I read there are rights issues with the Raymond Chandler estate regarding Time to Kill.

5. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

I'd like Fox to release TAKE CARE OF MY LITTLE GIRL in this series.

6. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because Fox recently released Brasher Doubloon. I would assume they now possess the rights to that Chandler work.

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Having rights for one work by an author doesn't mean they have it for others.

8. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Both Time To Kill and The Brasher Doubloon were adapted Chandler's novel The High Window. If there are indeed rights issues, I suppose it would stem from how the former was specifically adapted. Though I would assume it's more likely both films have been cleared.

9. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    They're both based on the same Raymond Chandler novel, "The High Window." The Brasher Doubloon (1947) is a remake of Time to Kill (1942).

10. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    January 26 releases -

[​IMG][​IMG]

Flashgear and TheSteig like this.
  11. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Thanks Gregory. Happy to see two Cold War titles. IRON CURTAIN has received lots of airplay on Fox Movie Channel, but not DANGER HAS TWO FACES, which is one of two features culled from the short-lived '60s TV series "Man Who Never Was" starring Robert Lansing as an American agent operating in East Berlin.

Keep 'em coming, Fox!

Flashgear likes this.
  12. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Cinematographer

Mark
    Big news on Forever Amber. Fox Movie Channel is airing a different print of the movie with dialog and scenes never aired before. I have watched this movie for many years. I bought a copy from the archives because I never thought it would be released any other way.

I caught just a few scenes at the end and could not believe what I was viewing. I could not believe the last scene when Bruce does a narration at the end of the movie as he walks his son out and Amber looks on.

I wonder what is going on?

JoHud likes this.
  13. Mark Collins

Mark
    The film has extended dialog in some scenes. The scenes are longer so it appears as if you are seeing the film as intended and that what has aired in the past and put out on the archive edition is an edited version. Now it is the complete unaltered print. Why take what Bruce states in Ambers mind as he walks their son to the carriage out of the original. But now it has been restored along with other dialog.

Robin9 likes this.
  14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    But does the picture quality look any different from what we've had before?

15. Mark Collins

Mark
    I thought it did but not by much. I got out the Archive edition and it looks better than that. The scenes are extended with very small edits and the movie ended one minute before the next film began. I did not see all of the film. I am going to have record it when it next airs.

Is there not a Spanish or French I think version? I would be curious what fans own those have to say . Such as the ending scene which is different than any other version.

16. Message #476 of 576 Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    lionel59

lionel59 Supporting Actor

Michael Robert Lionel Evans
    I have the French Blu Ray (non-removable subtitles). Considering it is taken from Eastman color preservation negatives, I think it looks quite good. It is the censored version ie. the same one we have seen for years. A planned laserdisc (which did not eventuate) was advertised as having the original ending. I believe the print was via a private collector. It sounds as though Fox have acquired this print OR have discovered a pre-general release (ie. preview) print in their vaults. If so, it should have truer Technicolor tones. I would love Twilight Time to release this with-if possible- some of the footage shot with Peggy Cummins and Vincent Price before Cummins was fired and the movie re-started. (I have the 1947 LIFE magazine presenting Cummins as Fox's bright new star from England, imported to appear as Amber. She must have been disappointed at the outcome. Nevertheless, she was cast in a highly regarded noir GUN CRAZY, which is better remembered than AMBER)

17. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    February 16 titles.... nothing to see... move along (both titles are already on good quality DVD)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. borisfw

borisfw Screenwriter

Frank
    What's the point ? With all the titles without a release they decide to re release two old titles ? What a waste .

19. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    I was starting to feel really good about Fox Cinema Archives for releasing a rarity like "Danger Has Two Faces" -- but then they retread a Mr. Moto title?? (And I have the perfectly good Mr. Moto boxset.) WTF??! What are they, Universal Vault now??!

20. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I too would like to see Time to Kill. Personally, I find this series a proto-Rockford Files with a very similar lead character mixing crime and comedy. It's highly recommended, and would be more popular if anyone was familiar with it other than DVD collectors.

Richard Gallagher likes this.