What's new

Fox catalog titles in January (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The following are up for pre-order at DVD Empire:

Blood and Sand
Caprice
Do Not Disturb
Mr Billion
Move Over Darling

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!!! BLOOD AND SAND!!! Love Mamoulian, always wanted to see this movie which absolutely never appears on German TV. Very exciting.

As for the Doris Day titles I simply hope this stuff sells well and allows Fox to bring on more pearls like BLLOD AND SAND or the restored THE BLACK SWAN.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
These are R1 releases, right? Blood And Sand is literally the most beautiful three-strip Techincolor film Hollywood ever made- Mamoulian really understood the power of color. And finally, Move Over Darling- which means that all three feature versions of My Favorite Wife will be out on DVD: the original, the unfinished Something's Got To Give, and the finished remake starring Doris Day! I've always wondered why Fox hasn't tried a new version for today- how about Julia Roberts as Ellen Arden, Tom Hanks as Nick, and Kirstie Alley as Bianca?

Charles H

Screenwriter
BLOOD AND SAND is one of the most gorgeous Technicolor films of all times (Mamoulian also directed BECKY SHARP, the first three strip Technicolor film). I find it odd that DVD Empire scoops everone on Fox films for January, but has no postings for Fox's November releases of O.HENRY'S FULL HOUSE: SE, MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET: SE, and THE KREMLIN LETTER (the latter has yet to post on Amazon).

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Very pleased to hear about MOVE OVER, DARLING. It's a terrific, delightful comedy, and proves (in my mind) that of all of Doris Day's leading men, her chemistry with James Garner was the best. (This and THE THRILL OF IT ALL are both top notch) The other two Day films aren't very good. CAPRICE is really awful.... But if it's a box where you have to buy all three, I wouldn't hesitate, because I think so highly of 'DARLING'.

But, now I have to ask. AGAIN...."What is Fox thinking?" Another one of their unknown 70s ultra flops (we recently got PEEPER) comes to DVD- MR. BILLION...? Who the hell wants that film. I'd love to know who they think is going to buy that? Most of the time they can be so clueless!

BLOOD AND SAND isn't my kind of film, but I agree with the praise for Mamoulian, and am very pleased for the many fans who do enjoy this film. Given Fox's lack of original materials on Technicolor films, it will be quite interesting to see if they can do the photography justice.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Rouben Mamoulian was also a pioneer in sound. Look at the genius use of sound in both Applause and the '31 Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Not to mention the bravura use of cinematography in both films. It's directors like him that turned away from the lethargic nature of early sound films.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Also a stand alone release of A WEDDING will be released on 1/30 for those (like me) who did not want to purchase the Altman box set earlier this year.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
where is Fox's Flim Flam Man and Middle Age Crazy ../??

Two great comedys and two wonderful films never released on Disc of any type, or size .

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I agree Roger. James Garner and Doris are terrific together. Great chemistry. It's wonderful to see more Doris coming out, even the not-so-good ones. Move Over Darling is great, if not quite up to The Thrill of it All in my opinion. Caprice is so bad, it's great. I can watch it frequently and enjoy it. Do Not Disturb is another story. Just bad. But not bad enough to be a guilty pleasure like Caprice.

I'd heard that these were in the pipeline for 2007, with extras featuring Polly Bergen and Drew Caspar, but I didn't dare hope it would be so early in the year! Yeah!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Pete York

Supporting Actor

The assumption was that these were delayed until the Brad Pitt-Jesse James movie comes out in '07.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I say anyone but Julia in a remake of "MOVE OVER DARLING", how about Rene Zellweiger, George Clooney, and Catherine Zeta Jones !!!!!!! Now that is a great combo for a remake. Unless you can get jennifer, Brad, and Angelina ??

walter o

Supporting Actor

Woah, I am not only happy Fox diped into their library for PEEPER, a film they didnt even bother releasing it on video nor laserdisc, and I am also happy for MR BILLION, a fun little film with Terence Hill and Jackie Gleason. I am glad Fox, unlike other studios, are releasing obscure forgotten library titles, so count me in as the one of the 5 people who will buy this DVD!

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Exactly - there are fans for every film. Just because some films aren't five-star classics shouldn't keep them from ever being seen again. It's great Fox is giving some attention to some lesser known titles along with the more popular ones.

Personally, the only one of these that I would even think of buying is MR. BILLION. So there you go. Now there's two sales!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Mr. Billion: leading man Terence Hill is world famous a a "spaghetti western" star, so there is definitely an audience for the film. And yes, I do have some of his work on DVDs! To each his own.....

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Three! Now if only Fox would get around to releasing FIGHTING MAD (Demme), SKY RIDERS, and BREAKING POINT (Bob Clark) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks