What's new

Fox Catalog DVD's (From New Label - Twilight Time) (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Darn right--get your shinebox!

But I'm eager to see how this plays out; I just don't think it's going to be the answer to all that many of our queries. I'm into all of this stuff; MODs, these new distributors, bring it, get these titles out there. Like everyone, though, I dislike how diffuse it all is, and, yes, I too miss the old days when it was pretty much just the majors handling their films on pressed discs. But this is the chair we're in, Blanche, and I've fastened my seatbelt for a bumpy ride. Or...something...is there any Bette Davis left for Twilight Time to handle?

(That name, "Twilight Time." Resonant in a way but indicative of how all these initiatives see us--a bunch of old fogeys sitting in our rocking chairs, raiding our pensions to pay for all this, then adjusting our dentures and putting on a new pair of Depends as we settle in with the 40-year-old John Huston movie four of us have been lusting for since 2006 before we toddle off to the bone orchard.)

Originally Posted by shoeshineboy
"Neither will get titles out faster than a redoubling of efforts on pressed discs (ha!) or, gasp, a MOD program."

I dare not contradict the wonderful Bob Cashill, but i could point out that a new, never-before company releasing even one new dvd a month is getting product out faster than what was being turned out, right? It may not be MOD, but it is coming out and is a start. 1>0;^)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
"That name, "Twilight Time." Resonant in a way but indicative of how all these initiatives see us--a bunch of old fogeys sitting in our rocking chairs, raiding our pensions to pay for all this, then adjusting our dentures and putting on a new pair of Depends as we settle in with the 40-year-old John Huston movie four of us have been lusting for since 2006 before we toddle off to the bone orchard"

Actually, in an interview, they said it refers to the twilight of physical media (the last gasp before downloading and streaming become the norm), not us!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Really? That's even worse, an open admission from a distributor that this is the end...we should be selling DVDs for what we can get rather than buying the damn things. Anyone want a used copy of X-MEN: THE LAST STAND? A pressed disc with extras, kids!

Oh, well. I better have a lot of cocktail parties for all my shiny new coasters. Ah, Will Rogers, from radio to digital stream in about 80 years.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I think most everyone, if they're honest with themselves, know that DVD is slowly dying. The market for it is dead. This doesn't mean, of course, that there isn't and won't always be a niche market (not unlike laser disc) for it. Hence, the limited 3,000 pressings of Twilight Time or the manufactured on demand of Warners. In 20 years, when everyone is dowloading or streaming, there's no reason to believe your treasured collections won't still have a place in your home ... if that's your choice. After all, I still have my laser disc player and I'm sure a lot of people still have their VHS or even -gasp- beta machines.

Personally, I have no interest in downloading or streaming. I'm sure there are a few dinosaurs out there like me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T

Personally, I have no interest in downloading or streaming. I'm sure there are a few dinosaurs out there like me.
Uh, yes I am a dinosaur. I cannot get excited over either.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
On an interesting side note on downloading, Warner Archive lists 525 titles for downloading and 776 titles on DVD-r. I poked around not many of the latest releases are listed. No Fort Dobbs, no Phantom of the Toll Booth, no Pretty Maids In A Row, and no Footsteps In The Dark in fact I could not find a single title released in the last four months available for download.

flagbrothers

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Perry
The Incident is a title that should be considered on their top 20 releases. I also hope they release more 50's [SIZE= 18px][COLOR= #ff0000]CinemaScope[/COLOR][/SIZE] films.

[COLOR= #800000]Woman's World[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]Untamed[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]In Love and War[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]Fraulien[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]Rio Concho's[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]Night People[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]The Racers[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #800000]Desire in the Dust[/COLOR]

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
I think most everyone, if they're honest with themselves, know that DVD is slowly dying. The market for it is dead. This doesn't mean, of course, that there isn't and won't always be a niche market (not unlike laser disc) for it. Hence, the limited 3,000 pressings of Twilight Time or the manufactured on demand of Warners.
It's true that the market for physical discs is waning, but it's hardly dead. Summit just sold 3 million copies of the latest Twilight movie in the first two days it was on sale. We must be careful not to confuse a niche market for physical discs with a niche market for classic films (especially the obscure classic films released by Twilight Time and the MOD programs). Years from now, when everything is on-demand and streaming, I agree that there will still be a niche market for physical media. But it will be a niche market for physical copies of high-profile films like Avatar and The Dark Knight (or the equivalent), not stuff like old Lon Chaney silents. I'm not so optimistic to think the Warner Archive will still be burning copies of these old films ten years from now, as the market moves to streaming and the fan base for these older films begins to die off (sorry to be blunt.)

And for those who say they would never stream or download: if you could subscribe to something like "Warner On-Demand" for $20/month (for instance) and get instant access on your television to every film in the MGM, RKO, and Warner Bros. library, you wouldn't do it?

To stay on topic: do folks prefer this Fox program, with its pressed discs and booklets, if it means one film a month, vs. the Warners program, which is lower quality but more prolific? Also, the Warners discs can be purchased for between $10-$15 with deals, while it looks like the Fox discs will be $20 plus shipping. Is the extra $5 worth it? I'm just interested to see what people think.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Would like to see THE MUDLARK, TALES OF MANHATTEN, THE 13TH LETTER, THE FLIM FLAM MAN, THE SICILLIAN CLAN, CLUNY BROWN out on dvd. In compiling "The 14th annual Consumer Poll" for The DVD/Laser Disc Newsletter, I tended to push for TCF titles, thinking that given TCF's abrupt indifference--if not contempt--for their classics, meant that we'd never see any more Fox classics on dvd. Now I have hope. I believe that commentaries for The Third Voice, The Brasher Doubloon, and Violent Saturday were recorded several years ago.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ColbyCo82 said:
I think TCM has taken Handy Andy off the line-up, unfortunately. They replaced it with Doubting Thomas (which is already on DVD). However they are showing Down to Earth (1932) which isnt on dvd yet.
This is terrible news. Handy Andy is the film to which I was most looking forward. It was still on the schedule a week ago. I even copied the TCM article about the film. I wonder what happened?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
While it's kind of cute with everybody tossing out their want lists as if sitting on Twilight Time's lap in the mall during Xmas (and I understand their enthusiasm), not only is the first disc in the program not arrived yet, but if these first set don't sell, there may not be any more. I therefore suggest that we all put our money where our mouth is. If, say, you're on the fence with APRIL LOVE because you don't like Pat Boone, buy it any way! Your purchase of APRIL LOVE may insure that a disc you do want like PRINCE OF PLAYERS or NO DOWN PAYMENT eventually sees the light of day.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I believe that THE BRASHER DOUBLOON is tied up in a rights quagmire. My guess is that it might have something to do with the Raymond Chandler estate, but that is a guess.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Eddie Muller made a Brasher Doubloon commentary but Jobla is correct, the movie is in rights limbo.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by BradleyS
To stay on topic: do folks prefer this Fox program, with its pressed discs and booklets, if it means one film a month, vs. the Warners program, which is lower quality but more prolific? Also, the Warners discs can be purchased for between $10-$15 with deals, while it looks like the Fox discs will be $20 plus shipping. Is the extra $5 worth it? I'm just interested to see what people think.

It's worth it to me and I plan on treating the program like a subscription. I'll just preorder each month and set aside the 25 bucks in my budget. One of the funny things about MOD programs for me is that I have absolutely no sense of urgency to pick up any of those titles. The whole point is that they burn on demand, so theoretically they never go out of print. At that point it's just not a big priority for me to rush out and spend that money, particularly when I'm not wild about the format.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
The Warner discs are only lower in price because of the constant sales and voucher codes.

As to these Twilight discs, from a non-US-resident perspective, they are even worse than the MOD's. At least those eventually filter through to a few retail stores, which ship outside of the USA.

The Twilight range is not only closed off to me by shipping limitations, they're Limited Edition as well. So they aren't going to appear on the secondary market, except from scalpers who have zero interest in the movies aside from making a fast buck by selling them on Ebay at inflated prices.

Single store exclusive and Limited Edition as well.

They're deploying both of the best known customer "hooks".

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
While it's kind of cute with everybody tossing out their want lists as if sitting on Twilight Time's lap in the mall during Xmas (and I understand their enthusiasm), not only is the first disc in the program not arrived yet, but if these first set don't sell, there may not be any more. I therefore suggest that we all put our money where our mouth is. If, say, you're on the fence with APRIL LOVE because you don't like Pat Boone, buy it any way! Your purchase of APRIL LOVE may insure that a disc you do want like PRINCE OF PLAYERS or NO DOWN PAYMENT eventually sees the light of day.
I will buy a movie if the movie interests me . I will never buy a film to ensure other movies will be released . Somehow i don't see the sense in that .

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
The Warner discs are only lower in price because of the constant sales and voucher codes.

As to these Twilight discs, from a non-US-resident perspective, they are even worse than the MOD's. At least those eventually filter through to a few retail stores, which ship outside of the USA.

The Twilight range is not only closed off to me by shipping limitations, they're Limited Edition as well. So they aren't going to appear on the secondary market, except from scalpers who have zero interest in the movies aside from making a fast buck by selling them on Ebay at inflated prices.

Single store exclusive and Limited Edition as well.

They're deploying both of the best known customer "hooks".
Where are you getting this from? Their shipping costs might be high, but at least for their current products they are shipping worldwide. Do you have other information or are you just planning for worst case?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks