What's new

Fox Catalog DVD's (From New Label - Twilight Time) (1 Viewer)

lionel59

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Robert Lionel Evans
I'm guessing that Fox and all the studios are in the process of remastering all their catalogue titles for HD Broadcasting, thus PRINCE OF PLAYERS turning up in HD on HBO. In this case, it may be less laborious for them to just release sell-thru titles in the Blu Ray format as some people seem to think SD's days may numbered.(ie. the trend is heading towards downloading as opposed to buying a movie on dvd in a store). At least Blu Ray movies in general are becoming much cheaper with each passing day.I have picked up Blu Rays like GIGI and BRIEF ENCOUNTER here in Melbourne for around $8.50 in recent months. Maybe the answer will be to lessen the charge for Blu Ray TT releases . THE EGYPTIAN is great to have on Blu Ray but it's hardly a Criterion-style release with loads of interesting extras.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Scott, I'm with you. I started buying soundtrack LPs as a youngster in the early sixties. Since then, I've gone through 16mm, CDs, VHS, laserdisc, and now DVD and MOD. I do choose to define myself as a collector, and my definition is based on the TITLES (some of them quite rare) that I have in my collection, rather than the playback mediums required to view them. Just my opinion.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
mdnitoil said:
Dang it. I hate finding out that I'm not really a collector. :rolleyes:
LOL! I'm certain you are...but since you say that neither you nor most of the collectors you know personally own a Blu-ray player, I'm amazed that you come off as a bit of a Luddite when it comes to Blu-ray.
You'll need to replace your DVD players at some point...and Blu-ray would be an ideal upgrade since you dont' have to buy BD titles to use the player. And those of us who indulged ourselves in both HD-DVD and BD were astounded to find that our standard DVDs looked far better on those players than on standard DVD players.
But, to each his own....and collect what you will! Bless your heart!

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Virgoan said:
LOL! I'm certain you are...but since you say that neither you nor most of the collectors you know personally own a Blu-ray player, I'm amazed that you come off as a bit of a Luddite when it comes to Blu-ray.
You'll need to replace your DVD players at some point...and Blu-ray would be an ideal upgrade since you dont' have to buy BD titles to use the player. And those of us who indulged ourselves in both HD-DVD and BD were astounded to find that our standard DVDs looked far better on those players than on standard DVD players.
But, to each his own....and collect what you will! Bless your heart!
I'm sure I'll eventually buy one. It'll have to be region-free to support my SDs, but I'll get around to it when my current upconverting player craps out. Until then, I'm not interested in spending money just for the sake of it when I'm already satisfied with what I have. I was only suggesting that a collector isn't defined by the technology they choose to employ.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by mdnitoil /t/306804/fox-catalog-dvds-from-new-label-twilight-time/360#post_3858705
I was only suggesting that a collector isn't defined by the technology they choose to employ.
It took until the release of How The West Was Won for me to go Blu-ray, but I was still a collector before then and after.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
ahollis said:
It took until the release of How The West Was Won for me to go Blu-ray, but I was still a collector before then and after.  

I had HD-DVD when, naturally, it died as a format. I was hesitant about going the BD route. Because my HD-DVD player upconverted my standard DVDs so beautifully, I knew I didn't need a BD player for that advantage.
But...when HTWWW was issued in that "smiley-box" format it was something I HAD to experience myself even as pleased as I was with the standard DVD of the title. HTWWW and The Robe fully justified my entry into BD. Therefore, I advocate it whenever possible, especially since the prices have come down so much on the players.
As were you, I was a collector before HD-DVD and BD, but I was never averse to expanding my horizons and embracing technology that enhanced my enjoyment of my collection. Because I enjoy it so much more, I'm guilty of wanting others to discover how much better theirs can be, too.
:)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Fright Night (1985) Specs:
1080p High Definition / 2.35:1
5.1 DTS-HD MA
Language: English
Subtitles: English SDH
Special Features:
Isolated Score Track / Original Theatrical Trailers
1985 / Color
106 Minutes
Limited Edition of 3,000 Units
$29.95
Release Date: December 13th, 2011
Pre-Order Date: November 14th, 2011

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
February's Fox title has been revealed as Swamp Water (1941)
94c94c5f_swamp.jpeg

Whether it will be DVD or Blu-ray is currently unknown.
Edit: Blu-ray only. Sorry.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
A single classic-DVD title and they announce it 4 months in advance? Lame.
Warner Archive and (to lesser extents) Sony/Columbia and MGM-UA have truly active classic-DVD (MOD or otherwise) programs these days. When are the others going to get their acts in gear?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
SWAMP WATER, good to have. I wish Fox would open its own MOD myself but this is a route it's chosen.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Still not sure how I feel about the next 8 Twilight titles as Blu-Ray only releases.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Justin Ray /t/306804/fox-catalog-dvds-from-new-label-twilight-time/390#post_3869030
Still not sure how I feel about the next 8 Twilight titles as Blu-Ray only releases.
As someone who has been frustrated that most of there releases up until now have been DVD, I'm very happy. Its a lot easier for me to justify they price when they are on Blu-ray.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It seems the sales of the upcoming wave of Fox Blu-ray only titles will determine if future releases are Blu-ray or DVD only.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'll return to TT when they return to DVD.
Have they considered a duo-pack with both a DVD and a Blu? I think Synapse has had some success with that strategy (VAMPIRE CIRCUS).

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
The switch comes at a great time for me. I'll just put the money I had set aside for TT and apply it to the Sony TCM exclusives.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I have no problem with Twilight going Blu . As long as they keep putting them out on dvd also .
I've bought most of their classic releases so far on dvd . I will not buy them on Blu .

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
I was real excited about Twilight Time when they first started, but with them still putting out only 1 Fox title per month, it's ridiculous. They say they have Fox 100 films, and at the rate of only 1 per month it could take 7 years before the ones I want to ever appear.
I suggested that they do 2 (or more) per month (ala Olive) as it creates more of a buzz, but they claim sales have been slow. 3000 of most titles will sell out over a period of time, but did they really expect it to happen right away? They have no website and only Screen Archives sells their titles, so no wonder sales are slow. They should do a better job promoting their label/titles, start a website, stop keep us waiting forever and do 2 or more per month.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's part of the Screen Archives website. How would having a separate one help? I doubt Olive's more plentiful releases aren't flying off the shelves, either (and TT will be selling more Columbia Blus, too).

Roger Cee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Roger Cotillion
The reason they're selling Sony's is because the Fox titles aren't selling as well as expected and Screen Archives is a relatively unknown company as far as DVD goes. Most people who know them is due to their soundtrack CDs. If they let Deep Discount and other companies sell them, most titles limited to 3000 would sell better or sell out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks