What's new

Fox Cancels Firefly Indefinitely (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
According to Entertainment Weekly, "Fox has swatted the little-seen Friday night sci-fi drama Firefly off it's schedule indefinitely."

The show is gone for good, not just for a while. While I never cared for this show and not a big Joss Whedon fan (except for Buffy) it didn't matter to me. But, I still think Fox pulls the plug WAY too soon on some shows. Given the little audience it has, they are suppose to go ahead and show the remainder of what they have filmed already.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Kinda odd, since they ordered a couple of new episodes not too long ago.

Course, what do they expect when they treat the show like a red-headed stepchild?

Jason

DwightK

Second Unit
The cancelling isn't at all surprising but airing the remainder of the filmed shows? Kinda bittersweet.

I did watch the show but for me it didn't hold a candle to John Doe, nor my remaining weekly shows, 24 and Andromeda.

And then there were 3.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, that's not specifically true

It IS true that Fox has zapped Firefly starting in January

HOWEVER they have NOT canceled the show

They are currently looking at Thursday 8PM or Monday 9PM for the show(Thurs more likely). It WILL be back, the question is when.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If EW meant "canceled", they'd have said "canceled". And they wouldn't have said "indefinitely", which would be redundant if the show were indeed canceled.

M.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
This is a show that has just gotten better and better every week. It'll be a shame if Fox doesn't give it a fair shake. In my opinion, it is the only new show this season that is worth watching (I liked Haunted too, but now that show is a ghost).

My sister HATES Sci-Fi and Westerns. After Friday's show she went on and on about what a wonderful show it was and how she hated it when I first made her watch it.

COME ON, FOX! GIVE IT A CHANCE!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
COME ON, FOX! GIVE IT A CHANCE!
I'm not sure how much more of a chance Fox can give it, though. 8pm Friday isn't the best slot, but Fox didn't have many better places to put it. They promoted it heavily, it had minimal basebal pre-emptions relative to the rest of the network's schedule, it's run original episodes when its competition was in reruns. The slot isn't great, but we'd all be complaining louder if it had been Thursday. And if it had moved to Monday as soon as girls club flopped, and failed, there'd be complaints of how this is what happens when you jerk a show around the schedule.

Ah, well. Might as well look at it this way - Farscape will return in that slot in a month, and Firefly will probably return somewhere else in March, probably Thursday (Keen Eddie will likely get Monday after Joe Millionaire finishes). And, hey, we'll wind up with 15 episodes of a big-budget high-concept niche show that, frankly, no-one but Fox would have greenlit in the first place.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Totally expected, but still very sad. My wife will especially bummed out. :frowning:
EDIT: with Buffy and Firefly gone next year, all that's left of Whedon on television will be Angel. Hopefully that show will take a big upturn. Not been digging it much since Conner got back. Hopefully Whedon will direct his obsessive compulsiveness squarely there.
Martin.

Joel C

Screenwriter
With Angel sagging in the ratings, the WB might cancel it this year... though it might move to UPN then.

If Firefly is "officially cancelled" (and I suspect it will be come Dec. 16th, the rumored "last possible day"), I hope Whedon will turn his full attention to making the last season of Buffy as strong as possible. I know they've planned who is writing up through episode 13 or 14, but I wouldn't object to another mid-season Whedon outing (since I'm sure he is writing/directing the season/series finale).

That's if Buffy ends this year at all (and I still kind of hope it does, I'd like it to go out strong).

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
Yes! Finally, I can stop archiving the show. That's two new series I was interested in this year that have been canceled before I've been able to see more than an episode or two. At least I can watch the already aired episodes in my free time now on DVD-R's.

(too many discs to review for my site keep me from watching stuff live outside of Alias, so I timeshift via Tivo to DVD-R and catch up during the lulls in marathon sessions.)

First Birds of Prey, now this. Enterprise got the axe from me a week ago as well. Buffy ends this year, we dropped Angel since it moved to Sunday's opposite of Alias, which we would not drop. And we decided to not try and catch-up in reruns once it moves to Wednesdays, opting to wait for the DVD box sets for that now.

Next year will be easy. Alias, Smallville. God I love network TV. They're weaning me off more and more every year. How can I work up any enthusiasm for watching a FOX or WB or SCI-FI show anymore knowing the shortness of the runs.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How can I work up any enthusiasm for watching a FOX or WB or SCI-FI show anymore knowing the shortness of the runs.
(A) You don't know. In fact, if you and others like you don't watch, that becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Besides, (B) it's easy - "Hey, there's a show on by writers I like with a good cast and a good premise and good production values that will likely provide me with an hour of entertainment!" Enjoy it at the episode level and let the future take care of itself.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Exactly watch now, bitch later

I'm more mad at Nielsen for discriminating against sci-fi and geek programming in general by NOT giving us boxes. Anyone who wants one should get one to contribute to more accurate sampling

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I'm more mad at Nielsen for discriminating against sci-fi and geek programming in general by NOT giving us boxes. Anyone who wants one should get one to contribute to more accurate sampling
I'd rather that cable and satelite companies collect ratings information so that we all get involved, instead of a small minority that choses what we all watch.

Personally, I'm with Chris. These networks really don't want me to watch TV. They seem to work actively to make me want to turn off the TV. Rehashing the same sitcoms over and over again, reality shows that drain IQ by the minute, intellegent TV shows are few and far between. Most of the time, I feel insulted.

Jason

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it.

Just to mention, I thought Angel was doing rather good in the current timeslot, and compared to seasons 1, 2, and 3. How have the seasons been so far?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I thought the show was getting a lot better.

Last year Fox canceled their two best new shows, 'Undeclared' and 'The Tick'.

Fox Network is no place to nurture quality programming. They don't promote it, and they don't give it a fair shake. Invariably their most original shows with the strongest writing get the shittiest timeslots.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Fox Network is no place to nurture quality programming. They don't promote it, and they don't give it a fair shake. Invariably their most original shows with the strongest writing get the shittiest timeslots.
That's extremely unfair to Fox. The fact is, most other networks wouldn't touch the stuff Fox greenlights. Without Fox, there wouldn't have been The Tick, or Family Guy, or Undeclared, or Space: Above and Beyond, or Brisco County, or Firefly, or any number of other shows that everyone critizes them for cancelling.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The problem is they keep cancelling them without resolution. There should be some WGA/SAG etc LAW that says they get to do a wrapup TV movie or whatnot if they are not informed in time to avoid a cliffhanger ending

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks