FOX: Buffy Musical on DVD - Can we buy it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, May 30, 2002.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Somone made the Buffy Musical into a DVD and sent it to select customers with their copy of Variety last tuesday. This is a "For your consideration" for the upcoming Emmy nomination.

(About time this show won)

This disk is selling for over $100 on ebay right now. One auction is over $400.

Do you doubt that this disk would sell?

If you dont want to distribute it through normal channels, can you at least sell it through the Fox website? There are 3-4 Million fans that would snap this up at $25 each.

Since you've done the work to master the disk - why not make some money?

2. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Count me in for a copy [​IMG] !!
    Greg

3. Peter Staddon

Peter Staddon Stunt Coordinator

Fox Home Entertainment did not produce the DVD. It was done purely as a promotional peice for the emmy campaign.

We will not be selling it as a stand alone DVD, we will continue to release Buffy on a Seasonal basis on DVD.

Thanks for your interest,

Peter Staddon

4. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I'm curious to find out whether Fox has fixed a video glitch that appears in a scene late in the episode where a masked goon goes to visit the gang, to deliver a message (the demon wants Buffy in exchange for Dawn). Spike grabs his shoulder and the goon twists and runs away. At the point where he twists away there's a couple of frames that glitch.

This has been in every version I've seen, including US transmissions and a review copy of the official Fox UK VHS release (which I brought to the attention of my contact at Fox's UK PR company).

Has anyone got a copy of the Variety DVD that they could check, please, or - better still - could Peter possibly investigate, and maybe consider fixing it for any future DVD versions?

5. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    It's really too bad that they wont be releasing this as a single episode since the rest of that season is not that good enough to buy.
    FOX could be making the money that the people on ebay are making instead of them.
    Anyone know if they are going to release the Sountrack anytime soon?

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

bummer

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

8. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

It'll be something to look forward to on the Season 6 set [​IMG] . Another 2 years away [​IMG].

9. EricCr

EricCr Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if Season 6 will be all that far away, maybe only a year. Fox's site lists season 3 as coming out this winter. That would make three sets in only one year. They may only be doing this to catch up to the other regions but if they keep this pace up we might see season six by Christmas 2003.

10. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Peter. Thanks for the reply. [​IMG]
    So we CAN expect the Musical episode in the season 6 box set?
    (Just to hedge my bet, I'm going to bid on some of the ebay auctions. Maby I can get one for less than $150.)
    PS: My season 2 Buffy box set has been on order for weeks. If you produce them, we'll buy them. (And an emmy wont hurt sales at all).

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since it's episode 6.07, I wouldn't have ever thought there was a doubt it'd be in the set. It's a crucial part of season 6's storyline.

13. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I presume he meant 'uncut', though. I'd guess it has to be uncut.
    I'm expecting Season 6 to be out (*sigh*) May 2003, as Fox seem to be on an achingly slow schedule of 4 month / 8 months over here...[​IMG]
    However I do hope it's earlier. I've seen some of Season 6 but basically I want to watch it on DVD first - anamorphic widescreen - after seeing Season 4 it's got to be the way to go!!

14. Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr Stunt Coordinator

Oh don't you be sighing about you getting it in May 2003...It seems we over here in the states may have to wait until June 2004...I just wish they would release three a year and not two a year...it just makes the wait seem less....well because it would be less.........leaving now......

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Yeah but Christopher: the boxed VHS sets are either on their way or already out of Season 6 (the first half at least).
    This is what really pisses me off most with Fox UK. They know full well that by holding off on the DVDs at 2 a year they will force us to buy the product once on VHS just to see it uncut!! [​IMG]
    Well I refuse from now on but it's annoying to know Season 7 will have finished by the time I get my hands on Season 6. [​IMG]

16. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

17. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I'll speak for myself and alot of fans who felt the same way.
    It's widely known and voiced that it wasnt that good. Critics have said it. Fans have said it and even SMG said it was too dark and needed to lighten up so there.
    I bought a VCD of the episode on ebay.
    FOX could have made that money.

18. Christopher Carr

I believe that Season 6 is one of the seasons of the series. I don't believe that when you make a hit you continue to do the same thing that made it a hit. Much of what made it good was that it was unpredictible...why keep doing the same BIG BAD that will destroy the world and we need to take a whole season to fight the BIG BAD to the Apocolptic conclusion? Season 6 needed to be different...I mean Buffy died and came back from the dead from being in heaven...of course it will be dark...you can't just snap out of that...not that I would have any experience with that or anything, but still...

Season 6 was different that's all...and with great episodes like ONCE MORE WITH FEELING the season just took a new stand with the characters growing up...and now they have grown up from death on the WB to birth on UPN...and now they will have one more season to go back to the beginning, but they needed to establish new views and new character developments that only a whole season away from the BIG BAD would be able to accomplish. I mean yeah I bet they could have done it with a BIG BAD but it would have taken the focus off of every single character's own BIG BADS...

...so if the thing is you don't want to "waste" your money on a season set over some VCD go right ahead but I know that in 2004 there will be a nice box set of one of the best shows this yr (well to me the best) with my name on it. Plus, if season 2 can give us so many awesome features, just imagine how many features we can get by season 6 and 7 knowing that the cast and crew are preparing for DVD material...

19. Christopher Carr

Oh and correction:

'not good' and 'too dark' do not mean the same thing...I dont think SMG would imply her show isn't good...

20. Stas T

Stas T Stunt Coordinator

Given the impending release of the "Once More, With Feeling" soundtrack CD and the continuing high bid eBay sales of OMWF DVD's, it seems Fox is missing a great opportunity to make some money while giving fans a high quality product at a reasonable price (as compared to the $50 to over $100 eBay bids for the Emmy promo Buffy discs).
    Yes, OMWF belongs in its rightful place in the season 6 box set, but it's absolutely deserving of a solo disc as well, which would allow for a higher bit rate (versus it being crammed on a disc with three other eps.), and the inclusion of plenty of exxtras like behind-the-scenes footage and so on.
    It's clear there's a market for a stand alone OMWF disc, and a shame Fox isn't considering releasing it. Of course, I'll be buying the season 6 set, but I don't relish waiting another year or more for its release, given the mediocre quality of my VHS taped-from-broadcast copy of the ep., which is already wearing out from multiple viewings.
    Fox, please reconsider.[​IMG]