What's new

Fox: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls - before it's too late!!! (1 Viewer)

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
PLEASE! Russ Meyer is miraculously still alive - ditto for Roger Ebert. Now is the time to get a commentary track from these two! A great looking film that would make a great looking DVD. Not releasing this on DVD, and giving it the SE treatment it deserves would be a disservice to bosom loving people of all races, creeds and colours.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
I agree 100%. However, there's one stumbling block: The film is still rated NC-17. (Fox went back to the ratings board when the rating was created to see if they could get an "R" on it and were stunned they got the new rating instead.) A lot of stores and chains will not pick it up based on that reason alone, despite the fact that your average Playboy or Penthouse release has more sex and nudity.

And dare I pray they also take the opportunity to finally release Myers' THE SEVEN MINUTES at the same time while they're at it?

Raymond Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get why thisis NC-17. Oh well....the MPAA is a very hypocritical & illogical bunch.
They could easily just put Unrated on the box if they're to afraid to put NC-17...which either way,at least Best Buy,Suncoast and so on will still carry!.
Who cares what the dreaded Blockbuster,Wal-Mart & so on think. They're not the people this movie is for anyway & i'm sure would'nt be able to find it there regardless of rating.
While your at it...how about a uncut Two Girls and a Guy.....now who thinks that deserved a NC-17?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy, Circus City and Suncoast carry NC-17 movies, it's just Blockbastard and Wal-Muck that won't carry them, not like they matter.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, BB and Wal-Mart don't matter at all. They only (sadly) are responsible for about 25% of video sales between them

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
To get this thread back on track, I agree a commentary with Ebert and Meyer is a must, and should be done before it is to late.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
Fox cannot just slapped the "Unrated" banner on BEYOND and then release it. Once a film is rated (and the rating officially accepted) it has to remain at that rating or else the studio will get sued by the MPAA. The only option is for them to plead their case to the MPAA or cut the film and re-rate it. Along those lines, Fox could ADD footage to the film and make that unrated, but I doubt they would go through all the trouble to do that.

I can't help but wonder if the whole Blockbuster-NC-17 issue is sort of a moot point with something like this, a thirty-year old cult film. Maybe Fox is just being slow to realize how many people would LOVE to see this come out on DVD.

Sadly, Meyer isn't doing well and it was very visible how he wasn't in full posession of all his faculties as far back as '99, when the American Cinematheque did their retrospective. But, of course, there's still Ebert and various other people who worked on the film that are still walking among us. So a special edition should, should, should be done. It's one of my favorite films of all time.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Fox cannot just slapped the "Unrated" banner on BEYOND and then release it. Once a film is rated (and the rating officially accepted) it has to remain at that rating or else the studio will get sued by the MPAA. The only option is for them to plead their case to the MPAA or cut the film and re-rate it. Along those lines, Fox could ADD footage to the film and make that unrated, but I doubt they would go through all the trouble to do that.
I'm not so sure that's correct. Requiem For A Dream was submitted to the MPAA and received an NC-17 but was advertised as "Unrated" without any changes made to the film. Isn't that what they mean by "Un" Rated as opposed to "Not" Rated?
Jeff

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
If you read that link, those changes mentioned were made to the R version, not the Unrated/NC-17 cut. The film's official website had the "NC-17" logo on it for awhile and they replaced it with "Unrated" shortly before the theatrical release.

Jeff

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
oh how I would love to have this film also...I know that Russ owns the rights to all of his films but this one and 7 minutes...the only thing with this is how much Russ and Roger want to do with this film still...I don't think that the NC-17 rating has a thing to do with the film coming out to DVD *they just played the film on AMC's American Pop and it ran uncut*...I think Fox is holding back on the fact that it won't sell well for them or that Russ and Roger won't be a part of a all out SE for the DVD..I think also that this was the only of Russ's films to be ever put out on Laserdisk...I know I'd love to see Criterion do a SE of Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! with a commentary track from Russ and John Waters *it's his favorite film of all time* if he ever wanted to work on a DVD...lets just hope one day one of Russ's films makes it to DVD

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
Just to let you know a ton of Meyer's movies were relesed on Laserdisc. Most were in double feature style. The best by far was the vixen box set on laser. It had commentary by Meyers on those three movies which was priceless. But from that you can inferr that he and ebert don't get to see eachother that much (at all) because of ebert's wife not liking this part of ebert's past. If you listen to the commentary on Benith the Valley of the Ultra Vixens you can hear Meyers talking about how ebert enjoyed going down on big black women and other very interested tidbits. I wonder if ebert has talked to him since then? I had some friends have ebert sign a copy of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls laser that we had at a video store and he didn't mind at all. I sooooo want this (and all of meyers stuff) on dvd. I'm really surprised it hasn't been released because Meyers is all about getting every dollar from each of his movies.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll agree with Alex that the commentary on the Vixen box is priceless. I don't know why Meyer is holding up the DVD release of his films, after all he still seems to be promoting them on his website, but only on VHS.

Donald W

Stunt Coordinator
If they do ever put any of them out on DVD I think that Criterion have something to do with it to help him out...I'll have to look around for the laserdisk stuff that he has out...I still think that if Faster is ever put out on DVD they have to have a track with John Waters talking about the film

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks