Fox Best Buy Demo Disk

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil White, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I saw about three or four of these sitting on the shelf at my local Best Buy today. I was quite surprised as I expected these to all go early back in November (can't even remember what the qualification to get one was now). Anyways, picked me one up gratis.

If anyone cares, it's Best Buy in Lewisville, TX. They were located in Special Interest I think.

N

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yeah, I saw a few of these sitting on the shelf in my South Memphis location.

A co-worker of mine had bumped into me, and I told him to grab one, they were free. He asked what was on it and I told him, and he read the back. He said he wasn't interested and put it back.

*shrug*...his loss.

3. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

I still wouldn't mind having a copy of this. I'd be willing to pay a couple three dollars shipping if someone has an extra. The ones at our BB were long gone, gone, gone...

Seth

4. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

I asked around at one of my local best buys and after about three people that "had no idea what I was talking about" I walked out. Are you saying that they are just sitting out on the shelves now in some locations and you can pick them up and take them out for free? I'll have to check that out next time I pass through. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Ed Vandeweerd

Ed Vandeweerd Stunt Coordinator

Hi

I recently had a friend give me a copy of the "Fox Demo Disc Volume 1 " The disc and features were excellent but I was quite supprised with Fox's support of dts that there were no dts tracks included here for demo especially since most of the films demoed on the disc also had dts tracks?? What Gives??

6. Nick_Scott

Nick_Scott Second Unit

A friend of mine in Ireland has asked to 'borrow' my copy, but it doesnt seem to say the region code.

Does anyone know if it is R1? or R0?

Thanks

7. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Eric,

They were just sitting there in the Special Interest section. I happen to be buying Mad Max at the time but I am sure I could have just walked out with the Demo disk even if I wasn't buying anything. I started to tell the checkout clerk that I believed it was free but he beat me to it. He scanned it and it comes up as 0.00 due. Good luck.

Nick,

Sorry, not sure on the region coding.

N

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I checked this disc for region coding, it only plays in region 1.

9. Bruce F

Bruce F Agent

I'll have to get to the local Best Buy to see if they have any spares.

I missed them first time around....

Bruce

10. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I picked mine up at Best Buy a two weeks ago. Just in time to use the coupons before they expired.

Mine is Demo Disc 1, but I have seen comments about a Disk 2. Is there a Disc 2 and what are the differences?

11. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I saw these at one of my local Best Buys. It was labeled for $9.99. Is that their mistake and it is free or are they really just trying to sell them? I didn't bother to ask anyone since I wasn't that interested in the disc.

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I would think its supposed to be free. The copy I have--which I scored from an ultra-generous HTFer--has no UPC code on it. I would like to see them charge you for it without a bar code! The clerk would probably implode! [​IMG]

13. Andy Overby

Andy Overby Stunt Coordinator

I also saw these discs for sale. There were two of them in the special interest section for sale for 4.99 each. It says compliments from FOX. To me that means free. Does fox know BestBuy is earning from these promos??? Id almost bet they dont. They are in Wilmington NC if anyone is really wanting one. Glad I got mine early. [​IMG]
    Picked up my Vista Series Tombstone tonight at a local rental company [​IMG] very very nice.
    - Andy

14. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

At least yours said $4.99. [​IMG]
    Maybe I'll go back and see if I can find one and see if I can get it for free.

15. JonR

JonR Auditioning

I picked one up at the Warwick, RI store on Dec. 24th. It had a $4.99 price tag, but at the checkout it scanned as $0.00. Hope that helps.

~Jon

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

All of these are pre-tagged at BB distro center at $4.99 I'm told, but I'm also told that their system is programmed remotely by corporate to ignore the tag and ring it up at $0.00. Best Buy earns no profit from these; it's a bookkeeping issue that generates the tags.

17. Bruce F

Bruce F Agent

Well, I picked through both local Best Buy's that I know of, and couldn't find one.

If anyone is willing to pick one up for me, I'll happily pay shipping....

Bruce