Fox: Bad work on Moulin Rouge

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rbirk, Jan 15, 2002.

1. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I finally watched my copy Moulin Rougue last weekend and I must say that I am very disappointed with the quality of this DVD. It must be one of the less user friendly releases out there.

The most annoying thing is that in order to see the supplements of the movie (on the first disc) Fox expects you to see the movie twice! Can you believe that? There is no menu or option to just see them, you actually have to enable a special feature, then sit through the whole movie and just wait for a small indication, see the extra feature and then just sit there again and wait.. I cannot believe what they are thinking. Please supply a menu or option to watch the extras without the need to have to go through the whole movie again.

Then, none of the supplements (on neither disc) are time encoded so you have no idea how long they are. They do not even tell you in the menus about the length. Am I supposed to just sit there not knowing if it is a one minute thing or a three hour extra special full depth analysis? Please time encode the supplements. It adds so much.

At last such a simple thing such as being to switch the subtitles on and off and change to audio track like DTS or dolby digital on the fly would be very appreciated. It is annoying to have to stop the movie, go to through the menus (with all the time all the animations take) and then resume the movie.

Ron Birk

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

Actually I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I like this DVD from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. The DVD producers did a terrific job. Especially putting together that excellent "International Sizzle Reel."

And regarding having to view the movie again for added-value materials...

May I remind you of the first film on DVD to have this feature:

The Matrix - Follow The White Rabbit

and these titles followed as well:

The World Is Not Enough - Secrets of 007

X Men - Extended Branching Version

3. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

I am om not sure about the others but in the Matrix you can at least press the title button and jump to the different extras. Annoying, but it works. In Moulin Ruge I cannot even get this to work.

It is still no excuse. Just because some other titles do it badly does not need that everyone else should follow. I do not like the Infinifilms, but at least they they provide a menu where you can access the extras from.