Fox announce 'The Clark Gable Collection Volume 1' in August

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, May 3, 2006.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    From www.dvdtimes.co.uk :

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Clark Gable Collection Volume 1 for 15th August 2006 priced at $49.98 SRP. All available on DVD for the first time, this set consists of Call of the Wild (1935), Soldier of Fortune (1955) and The Tall Men (1955).

2. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

This is FANTASTIC news --- I only hope that "Call Of The Wild" will be the complete version, as it was cut for a re-issue, and the old syndicated TV prints were from that re-issue, as was the version shown on Fox Movie Channel.

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

3. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I like the Volume ONe. I don't think Fox has anything to make a Volume Two.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thank you Fox!

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm a big supporter of Fox, but their price structure is out of wack on their boxsets.

Crawdaddy

6. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i know, it really is. i was on amazon yesterday and film noir volume 3 is only $34.99 for pre-order, and that's a 6 disc set.

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Then the only way forward to to vote with our wallets; but then we all know that the suits at Fox will just shrug their shoulders, tell themselves that classic films don't sell and fewer projects will get the green light. Catch 22 isn't it?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't... (or wait for that DDD sale and everyone may end up happy)

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

They're still doing better than any of the other major studios if you look at Paramount, Sony and Universal... all completely negligant when it comes to their classic libraries. Sony especially. Paramount would rather reissue the same 80s comedies thirteen different times, and Universal likes to stuff as many movies as possible onto discs that don't work and toss it out in the cheapest fashion.

Perhaps Fox is overpricing some of their releaes, in fact they've been doing this for a while and iy's not just their film library but TV releases and everything else too. Still, we all know you can scratch a good $10 off the MSRP online right away. I'd rather be forced to pay a few dollars extra for a nice package with top quality transfers than the other options cited above.

It's better than Criterion's tags, right?

There can only be one Warner Bros.

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Did Fox make 'But Not For Me'? that's one Gable i would really like to see again.

fwiw, i don't find the discounted, retail price bad on these sets. i remember paying $35 for some early dvds (Out Of Sight, Entrapment) and now i'm ready to pay $20 for HD DVD replacements- not to mention that i cut my collecting teeth on LDs. Foxs prices here are not a big deal, imo- much better to pay a very minor premium for limited appeal material, rather than not have it at all if a mass market price point won't support them.

10. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Second Unit

Marco, I totally agree with you. Don't mind paying an extra US$10,00 to get a quality product, specially if I know this will estimulate Fox to release more titles. And, yes, if we refuse to buy it, Fox will not understand it as an answer against the high prices, but as a lack of interest for classic releases. And that will stop new announcements in this category.
    Great,news indeed!

11. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

BUT NOT FOR ME was Paramount. Maybe Fox will do Bogart box: DEADLINE USA, THE LEFT HAND OF GOD, UP THE RIVER (his first feature film), THE DEVIL WITH WOMEN, and HOLY TERROR.

12. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Wow!
    SOLDIER OF FORTUNE and THE TALL MEN are two more great titles to add to my growing Fox CINEMASCOPE Collection.

Still a few more to go though.
    King of the Khyber Rifles, Violent Saturday, Untamed, White Feather, Beneath the 12 Mile Reef ( official fox release ) plus others.

Keep up the good work FOX.

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Doug, you know I am also batty about early scope stereo films. Sad about the Mansfield Box. When it was talked about some months ago, it was supposed to include The Wayward Bus, a film that hasn't been shown in years because of rights problems with the steinbeck estate.
    Two of your titles I would kill for, White Feather has never been shown widescreen stereo in the U.S. , only flat mono on television. Untamed has at least been shown in stereo here. Great film, with never a dull moment.

14. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Agreed 100%. They deserve kudos for finally being aggressive with their classic catalog this year, but are they trying to kill sales with their prices? Warners just put out a 3 DVD collection of Lucy & Desi and priced it a full $20 below Fox's MSRP. Come to think of it, Fox's own L&H 3 disc collection was priced $15 below what these latest round of 3 DVD box sets are going for.

In my opinion Fox either needs to start putting 5 or 6 DVDs in these collections or adjust the price accordingly. I want to support them as much as possible, but Warners putting out better priced sets (with more films) on a monthly basis, I don't see as many of these Fox sets finding their way to my shelf as there would be if the pricing was better. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The overpricing of their releases is strictly boxset because they usually contain only 3 dvds while Warner gives you more bang for your buck. I don't have a problem with their individual releases. Anyhow, as somebody with a 3200 dvd library, Fox is giving me cause to hesitate on some of their boxsets. However, I'll be be buying a ton of their individual dvd releases later this month and in early June.

16. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    $50?

I love CALL OF THE WILD but my recording from FMC will do. Fans have asked for some of these "lesser" titles for many years now and it seems Fox has finally caved in but they're going to charge us as much as they possibly can. If I can find the set for $30 then I'll bite.

17. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    I know that this probably doesn't come into the equation, but buyers in the UK have to think a little harder when buying boxes which come in above the customs import limit. And from the looks of things this, and other Fox sets will be at etailers above that limit.

It's not just the adding of tax, it's also the fact that customs can hold up such packages for a couple of weeks (at least), that the Royal Mail slaps a breathtaking 'handling charge' on top, and the fact that one has to go and pick the package up - all this for a three DVD set?

It's a bit of a contrast with the pricing of Fox's Studio Classics and Film Noir series, where I can import three titles for under £16 plus postage, comfortably within the customs limit.

BTW, it's not just Fox that are pushing it price-wise; Sony's pricing is heading skyward and I'm having a long hard think about Universal's Cecil B. DeMille set too.

Warners sets are also above the customs limit, but they are so well priced in the first place, and so good, that I just have to suck it up...

18. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

This comes out to less than $20 per film. That's not bad -- at least it didn't used to be bad.

19. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I'm interested in Call of the Wild but will probably just netflix it, how are the other two?

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yesterday, I just preordered a bunch of Fox titles that are coming out on May 23rd and June 6th which includes westerns, war films, crime films and film noir. My cost per title is less than $7.00 per dvd. Sure, Fox is running a sale price ( buy two for one free) through different etailers, but even if there wasn't a sale, I could've still bought each title for less than $10.00 a piece because the MSRP for those titles is $14.95 each.

So tell me if you still don't think that's a bad price?

Crawdaddy