Fox animated titles P&S?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris M, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Okay, are Fox's new animated titles Pan & Scan or were they created full frame? I can't find any info in the IMDB for the aspect ratios of titles such as Ferngully. I have been waiting for Ferngully, but was hoping it would be widescreen.
    Here is the quite from DVD File

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, Troll and Ferngully 2 went direct to video when first released on VHS, so they may be 1.33-native.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

i'm still ticked that Anastasia isn't 16x9.

4. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

Well, I started up the Ferngully DVD just now, and there was NO mention of it being modified to fit my screen. Therefore, it looks like it was made full screen. I just felt it was weird to have it in the theater in 1.33:1 aspect after 1970! [​IMG]
    Oh well... Good work Fox... keep it up! [​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Chris.
    Sorry... not DVD... VHS [​IMG] My mistake! Musta been daydreaming again!

5. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    You just started up the Ferngully DVD? DVD File says it's not out until February. Where'd you get it?

6. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Ferngully was released on VHS & LD before studios started putting disclaimers on their films. ("This film has been modified...")

The LD was available in pan & scan and Wdiescreen, it was 1.66.

Daniel L

7. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Ferngully was released on DVD in Japan a couple of years ago. That transfer is letterboxed at 1.66:1. I can't think of a single animated film from the past 20 years that was produced for the theatrical market that was actually drawn in a 1.33:1 frame. It is possible some have been, but I have yet to see a modern animated film that is not cropped at least some when framed at 1.33:1.

As for Fox's decision to release fullscreen only versions, I consider that an unfortunate turn of events. However, it is not without precedent. There are a couple of upcoming "B" action films (Silent Trigger and Deep Water) coming from Fox that are pan & scan only.

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I would love to hear from Peter Staddon on this.
    NO OAR = NO SALE

9. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I thought Fox was above this.

It is one thing to give the option of P&S, it is another to give that option at the expense of giving OAR as an option.

I used to believe that Fox and Paramount would be the ones to essentially say (at least with DVD) "We respect our product and the integrity of our filmakers, and we will not butcher our films just because of the ignorence and lack of respect of others." I used to believe that they would hold out while the masses made the transition to DVD, and the ones to to realize that if they were persistent enough, the masses might at the very least learn the purpose of OAR when making that transition.

A studio hits a new low when they release a product to DVD without OAR at least being an option. No matter how good their other product is, this can't be overlooked.

If they have so little respect for Ferngully that they will not give it an OAR release, then they might as well save on toilet paper and use the filmstrips and cels instead.

Hopefully, this was a premtature and inaccurate announcement by DVDFile, and is not representative of the truth.

10. David Lambert

Y'know, I wonder just how accurate that DVDFile blurb is. After all, it says:

11. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

According to the Fox retail web site they are not widescreen.

Daniel L

12. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Does it even MATTER that these titles are full-frame-only? They're all unwatchable dreck anyway...

13. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

Oh well, thank you for making that pronouncement Mr. Gray. We all feel so much better now that we don't have to be concerned with how this dreck is being presented on DVD.
    [​IMG]

14. David Lambert

Jeffrey: to each their own.

You don't judge my collection, and I won't judge yours!

15. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Jeffrey,

I have not seen Ferngully, so I don't know whether it is good or not, but that is irrelevent. I don't care how bad a movie is. Every movie deserves an OAR presantation.

That is just speaking on terms of common decency. OAR is something a movie deserves just for being a movie.

16. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Sorry for the comment...

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Time to start a petition!!!![​IMG]
    J

18. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Why is Fox doing this?
    Please give us a choice....
    [​IMG]

19. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, why don't we talk to Peter Staddon about this?

20. David Lambert

Jeffrey:
    Apology accepted.
    As far as talking to Peter about this, that's entirely up to him. He, like Martin Blythe of Paramount, are not at the beck-and-call of HTF members. They are members themselves, and can post or not post as they choose to.
    None of us can just demand a response, just like noone else can demand a response of us.
    A few members tried that with Martin just up until a few weeks ago. They were thoroughly blasted by the mods and owners, and one of them I haven't seen since. I suspect he was suspended or evicted. Maybe he left on his own in fustration, or is just taking a break. Either way, the result is the same: we just can't nag the reps to say anything, one way or another.
    First and foremost reason: no matter how high-up they are, they always have someone else to answer to, and they don't want to talk out-of-turn.
    Next reason to consider: they may have to research the answer.
    Third item up for bid: It may indeed come down to "we're taking this shortcut for profit related reasons, and we have no other real justification". If that's the answer, then this is the wrong place to try to explain it. They'll just get into a pissing contest with all the HTF members, and you can never win a pissing contest.
    I'll just have to hold off getting these, unless someone (regardless of whether it's Peter or not) can prove to me that the DVD's are in OAR. My son expressed interest in them while I was researching it on-line, but then he expresses interest in tons of things. I'm sure he'll be happy with the new Clifford The Big Red Dog disc that I put under the tree! [​IMG]