Fox 2-Disc SE's Out of Print? (Castaway)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Larkin, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

From DVDFile:
    Is this the start of a trend? As you may or may not already know, Fox recently discontinued the 2-disc special edition versions of it's popular hits Cast Away, Independence Day, and The Abyss. Now, they are already promoting the upcoming From Hell 2-disc set as being available for "a limited time only" in trade ads. So, does this mean can we expect a single disc version somewhere down the line? Fox has not officially announced any sort of set strategy for all their new 2-disc special editions, but it certainly seems apparent that they are experimenting!
    I wasn't aware that the 2-disc versions were going oop, just that Fox was releasing cheapo 1 disc versions. Interesting. Glad I just got The Abyss.

2. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

3. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    Chad...after reading the other three threads you refrenced.. they don't seem to address the issue that Patrick (I believe) meant by creating this thread.. namely.. FOX has now embraced the limiting of two disc runs as part of POLICY. In my estimation....policy changes perspective. Officially limited is a great deal closer to GONE. I even think it relevant enough to have its own thead.. and not be added to the bottom of the pile in one of the previous three..but of course...thats IMHO..[​IMG]

4. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Anthony,

I was merely saying that if Patrick was just hearing about this potential policy for the first time, he would be enlightened by those past threads, since the probability of this policy has been discussed.

While this definitive knowledge of From Hell may warrant a new thread, that was not my intention, I was only spreading the existing information.

FWIW, the title of Limited Director's Edition has been associated with From Hell from the first moment that the specs were released. As a matter of fact digitalbits had already posted this very same information in the past.

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I read the first two referenced threads but never read the third. It mentions the end-of-life of the 2-disc SE's.
    With From Hell, it does indeed sound like it is now Fox's policy to release a 2 disc SE as an *actual* limited edition and follow it up with a barebones version in WS and FS.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

This is interesting; when the Patton 2-disc SE came out, I started a thread inquiring as to whether people thought once a movie got SE treatment it would stay that way or revert to a barebones version, and the consensus prediction was that unless rights changed hands, that would never happen. Seems that wasn't quite so. It makes sense, though. Since most video/DVD sales are in the week of release, it makes sense to package it as many ways as you can so as to keep having it show up as a new release. I expect that a couple years later, there'll be another SE, maybe with the same content, maybe something more.

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I too just picked up The Abyss 2-disc set, and what a set it is! The transfer and sound mix are still breathtaking after all these years and the supplements are dazzling (if a little heavy on the literary side).

If Fox does discontinue all their 2-disc sets, I wonder for what cause? It seems a spectacularly silly thing to do, but does this mean Die Hard: 5-Star will be next?

As a side note, why are people (not just you, Chad, honestly) getting so bitchy recently about which goes where and the legitimacy of new threads?

It's as if everyone wants to be a moderator all of a sudden!

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "This should be moved to..." or "We already discussed this at..." in the past week. I know it's not snide and all meant well, but...damn, lighten up!

8. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

9. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Wonder if I should pick some of these up and save them for later sale on Ebay?

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

11. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

now when sound of music comes out, can we get an anamorphic and restored widescreen print

12. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

The current Sound of Music is anamorphic, Ryan.

Dan

13. YANG

YANG Second Unit

PATTON 2 disc edition is already sold out in SINGAPORE,new batch are singles...

It will be nice if Mr.STADDON give some comments on this topic.Let fellow members know what FOX is doing or done to their future policies...?

14. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

While I already had Castaway and The Abyss, I wanted to pick up ID4 before it disappeared. I'm glad I did. THis news 1-disc version is a pale comparison.

15. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Mr. Staddon never visits here anymore. FOX is too busy releasing pared-down one-disc DVDs and pan & scan versions of their movies.

Hey, remember those Home Alone, Big, and Office Space SEs that were supposed to come....well, it looks like FOX has lost sight of the original vision of DVD for having films in OAR and with supplements, and are now focusing their efforts on feature-less and MAR releases.

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

With attitudes like that, Luke, it's no wonder he "never visits..." What you need to remember is Mr Staddon (and any other studio rep who surfs this forum for that matter) is in no way obliged to respond to any question put forward by members of the HTF. They surf here in what ever free time they may have...

Dan

17. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Oh, I know that no studio exec has an obligation to post here. I was just making an observation that since the new year, Peter has not been posting much here and this coincides with FOX seeming to take their DVD production in a different direction (advertising DVDs with less extras and less of the picture as a good thing, for example).

It's really great to have real studio input here, but it just seems to be so scarce anymore, that it's disheartening, especially at this time when the state of OAR releases is in jeopardy somewhat.

18. YANG

YANG Second Unit

Be afraid...be very afraid...

My worry on FOX's recent attention to DVHS may turn off their focus to DVD products.

19. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

"Be afraid...be very afraid...

My worry on FOX's recent attention to DVHS may turn off their focus to DVD products."

I was thinking the same thing, lets make a limited amount of SE of dvd's but lets make all are big named movies on the DVHS format. Scary.......Could this be fox's way of sending there dvd movies into the can and fully supporting another format? If I remember right, wasn't fox one of the last supporters of the dvd format?

R~

20. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Think of the cost of D-VHS players. Think of the cost of the D-Theatre releases...think of how many people could playback 1080i in their home.... Fox have no intention of turning focus off DVD and onto D-VHS, they have freely admited they are aiming for a niche audience with DVHS.

Dan