What's new

Fox 2-Disc S.E.'s (1 Viewer)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I knew the 2-disc version of I, Robot was coming, so I held off. Great that I don't have to wait too long now, too!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I knew the rumors of the 2 disc sets would pan out at the very beginning when these were discussed even before the single disc is out.

So glad I waited. I'll be getting Man on Fire and I, Robot.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Surely, these will all be the same transfers as before --- so I wouldn't get too pissed.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
It's just as everyone predicted, and I'm glad I didn't buy any of these when the single discers came out. But now I can finally add "Man on Fire" to my wish list.

I wonder if the simultaneous releases of 2-disc SEs for Kinsey and I Heart Huckabees with the single-disc versions is just Fox trying out a new strategy? Or maybe they just want to go ahead and release 2 disc SEs for smaller films, and continue the "1 disc now, 2 disc later" for the bigger titles that will attract more buyers (and screw over the consumer)?

Personally, I'd rather they do the simultaneous release strategy, even if it means a higher price. But that's just my preference, because I know that I could still get the 2-disc SE for a pretty cheap price at my local BB or CC.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Anymore, it should be ASSUMED that any time that any film from a major studio that is larger than an indie film comes out with a single disc version, that a more elaborate SE is on it's way.

If you really like a film, dont buy the first thing that comes out.

I look at it as DVD's answer to rental pricing. Those of you who were in the scene around 2000-2001 remember the threatening talks by Blockbuster and the studios to develop a rental pricing window like VHS had. Even though those talks never amounted to anything, this double and triple dipping of large titles is sorta the same thing.

The basic "suitable for rental" single disc version comes first, then 6 or so months later, an elaborate special edition replaces it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
no 2 disc for garfield yet? that was another title that got a 2 disc set overseas with the other films like day after tomorrow etc.

JACOB

Travis W.

Second Unit

Knowing Fox it's on its way still. I guess 4 double dips in one day would be blatantly obvious of their intent to make more moolah.

As long as Day After Tomorrow and Man on Fire have the same transfers as before, I see no need to double dip. Special features are all the same to me anymore.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
New from the DavisDVD website:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced specs for The Day After Tomorrow: Special Edition. Due on May 24th, the two-disc set will feature a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, along with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks. Extras will include two commentaries (one with director Roland Emmerich and producer Mark Gordon, the second with co-writer Jeffrey Nachmanoff, DP Ueli Steiger, film editor David Brenner and production designer Barry Chusid), deleted scenes (with optional commentary), "Eye of the Storm: Filming The Day After Tomorrow," "The Force of Destiny: The Science and Politics of Change," and "Pushing the Envelope: Visual Effects" featurettes, a pre-visualization featurette, a scoring featurette, pre-production meetings, storyboards, concept galleries and trailers. Also due the same day is I, Robot: Special Edition. This two-discer arrives with a 2.35:1 anamorphic transfer, along with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS Surround tracks. Extras include audio commentaries (one with director Alex Proyas and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, the second with production designer Patrick Tatopoulis, editor Richard Learoyd and the visual effects crew, and the third track with composer Marco Beltrami). Also included are extended and deleted scenes, outtakes, "Sentient Machines: Robotic Behavior," "About Science Fiction & Robots" and "The Filmmakers' Toolbox & Visual Effects" docs, making-of and post-production featurettes, a still gallery, trailers and easter eggs. Each set will retail $26.98.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
They really had a Garfield SE? The horror. I'm glad I didn't pick up Day After Tomorrow yet, and I did get I, Robot for Xmas. FOX is on my "wait and see" list from now on.

Jeff Briggs

Auditioning
If you really want to feel a little peeved last week in Melbourne I purchased the 2 disc SEs of Day After Tomorrow and I Robot for $A14.94 (approx $US 11.350.

However, we have to put up 20th Century Fox Studio Classic with film only & none of the extras; no Warner Bros box sets of Gangsters, Musicals, Controversial Films, etc out or on the way. When we did get the Marx Bros set guess how many extras we got. Zero, zip, naught.

Makes you wonder why Australia got the 2discs sets prior to Christmas considering what we normally have to put up with.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
:confused:Isn't that the goal of any business, "to make more moolah?" Why would they need to hide that goal?:confused:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sure, that's the goal, but you'd like to think they'd be halfway decent about it. Really, it's better for business in the long run. Fans clearly appreciated the fact that New Line told us about the two versions of the LOTR titles in advance, and that kind of good will probably translates to better sales for other titles - if a company treats us right, we treat them right.

Unfortunately, with DVD as big as it is now, the studios probably care less about this kind of thing than in the past. The number of people who pay attention to studio patterns is very small - it SEEMS big when you hang out here, since we're aware of that stuff, but in the real world, the average person has no clue about studios and doesn't care...

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Unfortunately, I was had with "Man on Fire" and bought the previous release... :angry:

However, I suspected this would happen with "I, Robot" & "The Day After Tomorrow" and held back from buying them...

I'll be getting these two on May 24th! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks