Fourth of July Party Ideas

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Eric_L, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Hello fellow HT-er. I am planning a 4th of July party - titled 'Beer and Explosives - W00T!". I've invited family friends and co-workers over for a BBQ (around 5-ish) and fireworks (around 9 ish). I live on a lake so we have a safe place to shoot them. We have a Banzai Waterslide for the kids to play on and I'm getting a keg-o-beer, but I worry that for four hours that willnot be enough to fill the time.

This is our first real event since we moved back into our home in November after the Hurrican Charley restoration. I could run a show on my HT - but I'm not sure that is really an optimal way to celebrate the 4th. We don't yet have a pool or boat and the lake is not safe to swim in.

Does anyone here have any ideas for games and activities the grown ups can do to pass the time until it is dark enough for fireworks? I'd sure love to get your input.

Thanks

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

One word: JARTS!

p.s. The REAL kind, not the pansy-ass version they sell now a days. [​IMG]

3. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Yup - only in America can you buy a Remington but not Jarts. [​IMG]

Meanwhile - Neither Jarts or Remingtons are likely to be a hit with this crowd. Any other ideas?

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Jarts. Great memories. I remember when I was about 11, the family was over at our friends house for a 4th of July cookout. We (the kids) were playing Jarts and one of my friend's errant throws landed on top of the vinyl roof of their car. That sucker lodged in there poking all the way through to the inside.

Anyway, if your crowd wouldn't like Jarts they probably wouldn't be up for Bocce Ball or Cornhole, eh?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you have lots of food and drink, and a few lawn games available, 4 hours will go pretty quickly. If you've got someplace to get a fire started to sit around, that would be good too.

5. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

luckily my gf works at the captial so i am eating pizza there to watch the fireworks. for anyone else, I say supersoakers and jungle juice.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

That's so true. We always plan all these events, but by the time everyone gets there, chats, we get the food going, everyone drinks, etc. - there never seems to be enough time to do anything more than 1 or 2 activities (if that).

Definitely spread the food out over a long period of time instead of throwing it all out at once. This way, there will always be something to do and more food will be eaten. I hate when people put it all out at once and you're inundated with everything. My parents would always do the picky stuff at first, then (a few hours later) start the main course stuff (like chicken and steak on the grill), then (a few hours later) move onto burgers and dogs.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Good thinking Mark - I'll try that. I've been thinking of having the yard games (bocce, croquet, etc.) but I also thought I'd do a team movie trivial pursuit game on my bigscreen. Have some sorta goofy prize like red, white and blue boxer shorts for the winning team. Maybe a collection of brain teasers on a sheet to hand out. Maybe another sort of goofy prize - any ideas?

8. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I haven't gotten any takers when I've pulled out the bocce set. My small yard isn't ideal for it, anyway.

After googling lawn games for a while, I came up with quoits. The rubber variety don't require much space and should cause no damage to buildings, gardens, or humans. Should be about as much fun as horse shoes without the pits in my lawn.

I think I'll get a set to try out on my Labor Day weekend guests.

EDIT: Yeah, I know this is an Independence Day thread, but I have to work, so my party planning will be for Labor Day.

9. ToddS

ToddS Stunt Coordinator

A game I came across in a camping forum called ladder golf or bolo toss is a lot of fun. Everyone who has played so far really likes it and I get all kinds of questions about it while camping. It is something you can build your self for about $25 dollars or you can buy sets online. Just google ladder golf and you will find plenty of info.

10. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm going to upload a video to YouTube if it's not already there. IT's what NOT to do at 4th parties. Shoot a bottlerocket out of your ass [​IMG].

12. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

13. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

For the kids, a water balloon toss is great fun and can chew up 20 mins or so. Plus if they are already in their suits this is a freebie for you. Throw some squirtguns and supersoakers in there and they are set.

Grown-ups are always harder to please, hmmm...

If you have the space, a volleyball/badmitton (sp?) net is a good idea. They can play either one they want, let it develop naturally based on the mood.

A home theater movie is a good idea IMHO, something patriotic or adequetely action-dumb for a popcorn flick. People that want to watch movies can watch movies, people that want to play volleyball can do that instead.

If there is a lot of planned alcohol consumption a karaoke machine might be a hoot. If not enough booze though, no one but the drama queens would use it.

14. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I think I'll check those out. Except for the butt-works.... Hate to have to explain THOSE scars to the doctor...

15. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    If you have access to a ping-pong table; beer-pong is a lot of fun. As the game progresses of course.

16. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

What exactly are the rules of beer-pong Zen, never played it.

17. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I like the 6 cup "Virginia" formation.

http://www.nbpl.net/rulesno.html

Here are some good set-ups.
    It's funner with teams. That way you don't get too rapidly blasted.

18. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I bought Bolo golf. I also bought this; http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...65768?v=glance just in case the weatehr is not accomodating. I have the old standards as well (Bocce, Croquet, and Raquetball with a giant (12" )shuttlecock! (Yes - I am bragging about the size of my shuttlecock!)