What's new

FOUR YEARS LATER OR THE CURIOUS CASE OF TITLES IN LIMBO (1 Viewer)

24fpsNinja

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
I think Film Detective/WW are shooting themselves in the feet here. Oftentimes there will be a much bigger profit gained by selling many more units with a smaller retail price. We're in the middle of an economic crisis, fellas. Just offer this movie as a stand-alone without all the party crap thrown in (which they probably will do after a few months). And, I have yet to see one single Film Detective release that holds its own against, say, the worst of Kino's transfers. It is mainly a company that slaps a PD movie onto a Blu-ray disc with little (if any) effort to truly restore it.

NO SALE.

It’s right here (stand-alone) on Amazon for $17.99
Giant From The Unknown (1958) [New 4KRestored Version] [Blu-ray]

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Just offer this movie as a stand-alone without all the party crap thrown in (which they probably will do after a few months).

As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, Film Detective is offering GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN as a standalone on Blu-ray, concurrently with the big box set of crap.

And the standalone is only $17.99 on Amazon.

Giant From the Unknown Blu-Ray - Amazon

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It’s right here (stand-alone) on Amazon for $17.99
Giant From The Unknown (1958) [New 4KRestored Version] [Blu-ray]

Now, that's better! Thanks for the tip. If 3d-blurayrental.com (and if you haven't already discovered this site, they carry an amazing line of Blu-ray titles Netflix doesn't stock, including most of the classics) carries this, I will check it out before buying.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I would for good looking versions of The Fighting Sullivans and And Then There Were None (At least VCI released the latter, but presumably his "ownership" of this public domain film means that he owns something like the original negatives which could yield a vastly superior looking Blu-Ray).

The 50's science fiction monster stuff isn't anything I personally have nostalgia for.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I would for good looking versions of The Fighting Sullivans and And Then There Were None (At least VCI released the latter, but presumably his "ownership" of this public domain film means that he owns something like the original negatives which could yield a vastly superior looking Blu-Ray).

The Roan Group put out a pretty decent DVD of The Fighting Sullivans back about 20 years ago. It was their first DVD release. A bit hard to find these days, and probably fairly expensive (two copies available on eBay are each about $50).

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Same here, still have the Invaders laserDisc with a working player and a back up player in storage.
Yes my hooked up laserdisc player is one that can flip to side B. My backup player is one that doesn’t flip but can also plays a carousel of I think 5CDs?
Anyway The Abyss is another title desperately needed. Loong overdue.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
At least there’s a brand spanking new master of The Abyss that’s been making the rounds on various cable and streaming platforms. I’d love a similarly good copy of WW holdings like Destination Moon.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think all of these recent releases are pressed. EEGAH (as mentioned above) and THE SIN OF NORA MORAN were pressed, even from Amazon.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
A couple of points:

1) DETOUR is a Public Domain film. WW owns no rights to it, whatsoever. Anyone, and pretty much so far everyone, can release it.

As it is one of my favourite films, nothing made me happier than getting that Blu-Ray release from Criterion and not giving WW one red cent of my money.

2) The $65 version of GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN is a Bugs Bunny Funko box of fun. Includes playing cards, coasters and other useless stuff. It does, however, also contain a mystery Blu-Ray, from the FD archive. Many are hoping (assuming?) that it's another WW title, but I suspect it's just an already available Blu-Ray from the FD (they don't say the mystery Blu is a new release).

There is a standalone Blu-Ray as well (are you listening Warner Bros?) that is currently $17.99 on Amazon.

That's the one I ordered.

Giant From the Unknown Blu-Ray - Amazon

3) So far, no other WW titles have been announced by the FD.
Thanks for the tip.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Another one is Susan Hart.

Hart now owns the rights to 11 movies made by her late husband's company: It Conquered the World (1956) and its 1966 remake Zontar, The Thing from Venus, Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957) and its 1965 remake The Eye Creatures, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957), I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), The Amazing Colossal Man (1957), Terror from the Year 5000 (1958), Apache Woman (1955), The Oklahoma Woman (1956) and Naked Paradise (1957).

As likely to come out on Blu as the WW holdings.
Doesn't she also own The Undead(1957)? If not, is it public domain? What about Night Of The Blood Beast(1958) and The Brain Eaters(1958).

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just read that Monster From Green Hell is being released by Film Detective on blu sometime in March. Maybe later we'll see The Hideous Sun Demon, Brain From Planet Arous, Kronos, The Crawling Eye and some others owned by Wade Williams.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks