What's new

FOUR YEARS LATER OR THE CURIOUS CASE OF TITLES IN LIMBO (1 Viewer)

Pictureman

Agent
Real Name
Frank
$64.95 for "Giant from the Unknown" ?

I'm holding out for the signature edition. Word is it'll have a souvenir pencil and a ticket stub from the Sunset Drive In.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
A couple of points:

1) DETOUR is a Public Domain film. WW owns no rights to it, whatsoever. Anyone, and pretty much so far everyone, can release it.

As it is one of my favourite films, nothing made me happier than getting that Blu-Ray release from Criterion and not giving WW one red cent of my money.

2) The $65 version of GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN is a Bugs Bunny Funko box of fun. Includes playing cards, coasters and other useless stuff. It does, however, also contain a mystery Blu-Ray, from the FD archive. Many are hoping (assuming?) that it's another WW title, but I suspect it's just an already available Blu-Ray from the FD (they don't say the mystery Blu is a new release).

There is a standalone Blu-Ray as well (are you listening Warner Bros?) that is currently $17.99 on Amazon.

That's the one I ordered.

Giant From the Unknown Blu-Ray - Amazon

3) So far, no other WW titles have been announced by the FD.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Well, I looked up WWIII on IMDB and he is listed as a producer on the Detour & Invaders From Mars remakes! Just goes to show, if you tell a lie often or long enough, eventually it becomes fact.

Invaders From Mars is a good movie and I'd like to see it on Blu-ray. Does WWIII have legitimate paperwork to show ownership of it?

My vote for annoying procrastinator (of greater than four years) is James Cameron, where is True Lies and The Abyss on Blu-ray?

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Another one is Susan Hart.

Hart now owns the rights to 11 movies made by her late husband's company: It Conquered the World (1956) and its 1966 remake Zontar, The Thing from Venus, Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957) and its 1965 remake The Eye Creatures, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957), I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), The Amazing Colossal Man (1957), Terror from the Year 5000 (1958), Apache Woman (1955), The Oklahoma Woman (1956) and Naked Paradise (1957).

As likely to come out on Blu as the WW holdings.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Seems like The Film Detective is working with him on some titles.
If I’m not mistaken, Film Detective does not use factory pressed Blu-rays. The use the MOD blu-Ray -R.
I have one of their releases Bucket Of Blood which was a Blu-ray -R, - MOD- and have avoided them ever since.

Charles_Y

Premium
Supporter
Real Name
Charles W. Yearsley Jr.
Anybody know how old WW is? I don't know if he has willed this to someone with the instructions to not release his library ever. If so, say goodbye to a number of minor but interesting properties.

This has been my complaint with many studios regarding their TV and film libraries. It sadly all comes down to money. In the meantime they sit in a vault (hopefully well maintained!) never to see the light of day. These projects are meant to be seen not pointlessly languish in obscurity. I would for one would love to see Babylon 5 on BD but there are odd issues with that one. :emoji_angry:

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
Another one is Susan Hart.

Hart now owns the rights to 11 movies made by her late husband's company: It Conquered the World (1956) and its 1966 remake Zontar, The Thing from Venus, Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957) and its 1965 remake The Eye Creatures, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957), I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), The Amazing Colossal Man (1957), Terror from the Year 5000 (1958), Apache Woman (1955), The Oklahoma Woman (1956) and Naked Paradise (1957).

As likely to come out on Blu as the WW holdings.

I remember hearing an interview with WW where he said that he and Hart are good friends. It's no surprise that they both have the same mentality.

Though I hear that Hart is softening her stance on her library and plans on licensing the films to Scream Factory; I'll believe it when Shout confirms it.

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I remember hearing an interview with WW where he said that he and Hart are good friends. It's no surprise that they both have the same mentality.

Though I hear that Hart is softening her stance on her library and plans on licensing the films to Scream Factory; I'll believe it when Shout confirms it.

I've heard those talks fell apart, as Hart, no surprise, wanted too much money to make it financially feasible for Shout.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The Brain From Planet Arous might tempt me to drop a large sum. It is a beloved title and a real HOOT!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe they're testing that price point?
Obvious answer: it's just greed. And I'm not just talking any possible future release of IFM. How about his 3D holdings (CAT WOMEN OF THE MOON, ROBOT MONSTER)? Now that the domestic video market has abandoned that format, it seems WW really blew his chance to make something on it. Bob Furmanek tried -- really tried -- to help him get these out with virtually no financial risk to Williams, but he just kept dicking around. Too late now, Wade!! Now, you'll be making nothing rather than something. Yes, I'd probably pay $65.00 for a decent copy of IFM, but how many copies would he sell?. And, GIANT FROM THE UNKNOWN? How many of us are biting our lips to get hold of that one for $65.? I'm sorry Tom Weaver got involved in that. I love his commentaries, but at this point I won't be hearing it. If Film Detective and Mr. Williams wanted a real test of their insane price point, they should have announced INVADERS FROM MARS first.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
When I first read this thread, my reaction was "who the hell is Wade Williams?" But now I saw his name all over the new blu ray release of The Other Side of Madness (aka The Helter Skelter Murders). I haven't bought it yet, but I have seen the movie. Its mostly schlock, but the re-creation of the murders at Sharon Tate's house is quite chilling. I'm hoping it gets a streaming release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
We have just removed a post from this thread as it contained attacks of a highly personal nature.

Participants of this thread need to know/remember that such comments are never welcome here on the HTF and are not tolerated by the management.

Try as some might, this thread will NOT be allowed to spiral downward into a public attack on Wade Williams.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You know, if you'd been specific the first time you said this I would have taken heed. But you weren't - you were general and I didn't know which post was removed or who the "attack" was about. All you had to do was drop me a PM and I wouldn't have made the subsequent post. Now we know, so good.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Maybe they're testing that price point? If enough people bite, maybe there will be more blu releases of WW's holdings. Knowing WW's reputation, Film Detective probably need to charge that much to make a profit after WW gets his share. Which begs the question, would people pay $64.95 for a blu of Invaders From Mars? I wouldn't but then again, I'm not a big fan of the film. I might cough up as much as $39.95. I've paid that much for Criterions but Film Detective ain't no Criterion.

I think Film Detective/WW are shooting themselves in the feet here. Oftentimes there will be a much bigger profit gained by selling many more units with a smaller retail price. We're in the middle of an economic crisis, fellas. Just offer this movie as a stand-alone without all the party crap thrown in (which they probably will do after a few months). And, I have yet to see one single Film Detective release that holds its own against, say, the worst of Kino's transfers. It is mainly a company that slaps a PD movie onto a Blu-ray disc with little (if any) effort to truly restore it.

NO SALE.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
To be honest, I think I'm probably good with not being able to get any of WW's (or SH's) holdings on blu-ray. They're all a good bit of nostalgia, but most of them aren't movies I'm especially aching to see again, Invaders from Mars being the most notable exception.

I have a bunch on DVD from Image/Corinth Films: The three Tales from Tomorrow collections, Destination Moon, Stranger from Venus, Kronos, Quicksand, Lady of Burlesque. I'm still looking for Project Moonbase, Missile to the Moon, Rocketship X-M, and Spaceways, but I can't say as I'd be devasted if I never find copies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks