What's new

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I had occasion to watch the original Invaders from Mars on its rather sad-looking DVD from Image and so I went back and looked at the fourteen-page thread that involved Wade Williams, who purportedly holds the rights and some of the elements, about which there was some contention by an overseas company who went to court over it and won, if I read correctly. In that thread, Wade was responding but it got a bit contentious and the thread was closed. But the gist of it all was he owned everything, he was difficult to negotiate with, Kino had walked away from six months of negotiations, but according to him he was restoring everything and it would be out either through distributors he was negotiating with at that time and was close to making deals, or by his own company.

Here we are, four years later and nada, squat, nothing. So, all that palaver was just that, clearly. But the most interesting part of it, for me, was the discussion about Detour - he owned it, no one else could do it, he would only allow it if the remake he did was included and on and on - AND, he kept saying how Criterion was interested but they hadn't made a deal. Well, as you know, Criterion DID do a beautiful, stunning Blu-ray release of Detour and I just pulled it out and guess what? There's no remake, there's no copyright for Wade Williams (copyright line is for PRC, the company that made the film), there's no mention of Wade Williams at all. So, what's the deal there? Criterion obviously would not have done it if they could not have done it and just as clearly, Mr. Williams did not go after them. Was all that bluster? I'm honestly curious about it or if anyone knows anything about any updates with Mr. Williams or the overseas company that said they owned Invaders from Mars. It is criminal that this film sits in limbo. As do the rest of the titles he owns or says he owns.

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Wade Williams is a complete SOB, as we know from Bob Furmanek's saga to get rights to the 3-D Archive restoration of "Robot Monster".
(The side-by-side version of which looks pretty good on YouTube, btw.)

If he doesn't hold copyright on some of the titles he claims to own, or lays claim to own, that would be worth looking into.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
He claimed for years that Detour was under his control - if that was the case, how exactly did the Criterion happen without him involved at ALL, in any way, shape, or form? Makes one wonder about everything else.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
He claimed for years that Detour was under his control - if that was the case, how exactly did the Criterion happen without him involved at ALL, in any way, shape, or form? Makes one wonder about everything else.
Likely his claim to Detour was substantially weaker, or maybe he just owned a good print with no ownership of the copyright. There were countless pd releases of that film, but not for Invaders from Mars.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Seems less likely each year we’ll get any of WW’s films on blu-Ray.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anything WW is an extremely dicey proposition. Putting aside personalities, which in and of itself has proven to be issue enough in the past, he’s overestimated the value of his holdings by a significant margin. He wants to be paid as if his titles were Wizard Of Oz/Casablanca/Disney Animation style evergreens and as if physical media was selling as it was at the height of its popularity. The problem is that none of his titles are at the level of “top ten best sellers of all time” and physical media sells a fraction of what it once did, so the market simply doesn’t exist to generate the kind of revenue necessary to meet his demands. And he appears content to allow the material to languish under a mistaken belief that the longer it remains out of circulation, the more valuable it becomes.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I literally tried for years to restore the 3-D titles in which Wade apparently holds 35mm elements. I finally gave up.

The hoarding of INVADERS FROM MARS is a crime. I once had a beautiful 35mm SuperCinecolor print and these frames say it all.

SO sad!

Attachments

• Cinecolor (1).jpg
    Cinecolor (1).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 347
  • 1545948_10203233915271455_517648964_n.jpg
    1545948_10203233915271455_517648964_n.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 1546253_10203233915151452_320927738_n.jpg
    1546253_10203233915151452_320927738_n.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 1794741_10203233915111451_876242197_n.jpg
    1794741_10203233915111451_876242197_n.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 195

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I literally tried for years to restore the 3-D titles in which Wade apparently holds 35mm elements. I finally gave up.

The hoarding of INVADERS FROM MARS is a crime. I once had a beautiful 35mm SuperCinecolor print and these frames say it all.

SO sad!

Wish you still had it. I'd give it to those boys overseas and let them put it out. Wouldn't that be fun!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
They have the original 35mm OCN which was inspected several years ago. It's supposedly in great shape with minimal color fade and that is easily fixed digitally. The problem is that opticals (fades, dissolves etc) are missing and the saucer shots were pulled for stock footage use.

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
$64.95??? Unbelievable!

Maybe they're testing that price point? If enough people bite, maybe there will be more blu releases of WW's holdings. Knowing WW's reputation, Film Detective probably need to charge that much to make a profit after WW gets his share. Which begs the question, would people pay $64.95 for a blu of Invaders From Mars? I wouldn't but then again, I'm not a big fan of the film. I might cough up as much as $39.95. I've paid that much for Criterions but Film Detective ain't no Criterion.

Mike Frezon

Premium
A post has just been removed from this thread as it contained a personal attack on someone (who also happens to be a member of this forum).

Please be familiar with our HTF rulebook:

Conduct
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKASGamingYT
Recent bookmarks