Four Weddings SE for Region 1?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by James Luckard, Oct 12, 2004.

1. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I see there's an SE of Four Weddings and a Funeral coming out in the UK on Nov 29 from MGM. I'm assuming it'll have a nice, new anamorphic transfer. In addition, it has commentary, deleted scenes, etc. I'm dying to see it, and will probably buy it.

Does anybody know if a Region 1 release is likely? Since it's a British film, I kind of expect MGM not to bother, like their British-only A Fish Called Wanda SE.

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

3. Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo Second Unit

Nicholas Vargo
    I almost bought the DVD edition of "Four Weddings and a Funearl" yesterday, and didn't becasue I would like to know a couple of things first.

1.How is the transfer?
    2.Is there an special edtion in the works for the future?

If anyone could reply to my questions, that would help a lot.

Another thing, if I spelled "funeral" wrong, then I apologize.

4. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

The existing American MGM DVD is not anamorphic, as I understand. If it's the same transfer as the old OOP Polygram DVD, which I have, it's tolerable, no more.

There's an SE coming out Nov 29 in the UK, timed to Bridget Jones 2, which Four Weddings scribe Richard Curtis co-wrote. There's always the chance that it will come out over here, but frankly I wouldn't bet on it.

MGM did a simliar SE of A Fish Called Wanda a few years back, and only released it in the UK. I guess they figured a British catalog title like that would only sell well on that side of the Atlantic. I disagree, but what does that matter, I'm merely the consumer.

Thankfully, I got a regionless DVD player a few months back, so I'm buying the new SE, and I'm not holding my breath for a R1 release of it. It has an anamorphic transfer, commentary by director Mike Newell and Richard Curtis, deleted scenes, featurettes and trailers -- including the British ad campaign Curtis talks about in his script book that was shot with the stars but never aired.

5. Casey C.

Casey C. Stunt Coordinator

Anything new on this? I saw the 1999 disc at Target today but held off because I don't want to double-dip on a SE.