Four Stars for Four Brothers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by AaronSCH, Aug 5, 2006.

1. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

This HD DVD title has to be the best looking transfer I have seen so far. The picture is incredible sharp and the detail is downright staggering. Some of these HD DVD titles truly create a sense of "being there." It's also funny how I find myself buying titles that I would probably have just rented in SD-DVD.

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Hmmmm....

Skipped this on SDVD because I heard it was only a
    so-so film.

I'd love to buy this for the quality you describe, but like so many
    other lame titles that the studios are introducing this format with,
    I'm afraid of wasting my money on something I will not enjoy.

3. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I agree with Ron. That's why I haven't picked up Riddick or Aeon Flux on HD, and likely won't. A gorgeously pristine version of a film I dislike just means I'll see all the things I dislike much more clearly [​IMG]

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

I also passed on the SDVD version thinking that I wouldn't like the film. I picked up the HD DVD and watched it a couple of nights ago with my wife. We both ended up thinking that it was a good movie. Not a great movie, but very entertaining.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Ron,
    I watched this film during its theatrical run and I have decline to buy it on any video format. It's a mediocre film at best.

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I enjoyed it. Not the best movie ever, but certainly entertaining. Definitely worth checking out IMHO.

7. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Stunt Coordinator

Ron,

I'm with you this sentiment. I have bought very few HD DVD's, however, I think that will change soon (here's hoping!!)

I wanted to point out the value of Netflix, I have watched almost every HD DVD released (however I can't force myself to watch Aeon Flux again, just to see it in HD) some I decide later that I would like to buy, so I look at amazon used HD DVD's.

Four Brothers sounds like an ecxellent cadidate for Netflix (IMHO)

BTW, I have found (much like back in the early days of DVD) that "so-so" titles often end up being quite enjoyable when watched on HD DVD (I quite enjoyed 16 Blocks and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but I will not be buying them)

8. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

Edge enhancement has been reported which makes it not a candidate for best looking at all.

9. AaronSCH

AaronSCH Second Unit

I found "Four Brothers" to be more than a mediocre film. The thread title was more for the visual quality of this HD DVD than the film itself (plus I was tryin' to be cute). I guess my expectations were pretty low going in, so it more than exceeded them. John Singleton modeled "Four Brothers" similar to some old fashioned westerns. This is basically a western revenge flick set in an urban backdrop. Singleton uses many extreme close-ups and you can see the weave and textures of the clothing as well as skin details that some actors are gonna get a bit rattled about. I didn't see any edge enhancement and much of the film is shot in the snow. It is amazing the depth and detail that is in each scene that on SD DVD would simply display as a splash of white. This type of film isn't usually my cup o' tea but I actually enjoyed it enough that its gonna be a keeper. Personally, I prefer to buy my DVDs so that they are always there when I am in the mood. If I decide it won't warrent a re-watch its off to Ebay for the little sucker.

This HD bug has bitten me and right now the sell-off of my SD-DVD collection is fueling my obsessive buying behavior. I have 37 HD DVD titles and that is most of what is currently available in the format. I am probably gonna get a lot more selective as the release pace speeds up.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    This film borrowed from the Wayne western classic "The Sons of Katie Elder", but it's not nearly as good. I wanted to like this film, but it's still only mediocre to me.

Crawdaddy

11. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer