four speakers to two outputs

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Vigo Samsian, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Vigo Samsian

Vigo Samsian Auditioning

is it possible to connect four speakers to two surround speaker output.
    so I can have out of the left output, one dipole surround at the side and one monopole at the back and out of the right, one dipole surround on the other side and one monopole at the back also.
    if I connect this way would their be any problems in the sound stage in 5.1 ?
    and would there be any risks of demaging the speakers ?

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm interesting experiement? At worst, your receiever or amp won't like it, and will go into thermal shutdown. It should come right back on though after a minute or two.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Many times in the past I have wired two 4 ohm car speakers "in series". This converts two 4 ohms into one 8 ohm. I don't know what would happen if you wired two 8 ohm's together like. That would be 16 ohm's! Two 8 ohm's wired in parallel would produce a 4 ohm load. I would think if your receiver is 4 ohm stable it would be O.K. If it isn't then eventually the receiver would shut down. Or blow a fuse as my old Fisher would do. Gene

4. Vigo Samsian

Vigo Samsian Auditioning

my speakers are 4 - 8 ohms so there should be no problems . how would the rear sound stage be affected ?
    with two dipole on each side and two monopoles behind I should get immersive surrounds and added movements forward and back or maybe this might ruin the panning effects and the delay but maybe not since movie theaters use multiple sound sources for the surrounds.

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think it would bring the ohm load to 16 ohms which would put a power demand on that section you are adding the two extra speakers. I don't know, but I don't think it's all together a good idea even if it's for surrounds. Eventhough there is limited surround information (well based on the movie), in DD and DTS you are getting full range sound and that can be just as potent as your front speakers hence causing a possible problem of taxing the receiver's surround amp.