What's new

Four Criterions going OOP on December 31st (1 Viewer)

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
As a new DVD enthusiast this question is probably rather uninformed, but why do Criterions go out of print?

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
That kind of sucks, but at least I have you guys to let me know when this is going to happen.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Re: Spellbound

The problem with Spellbound is not Hitchcock but David Selznick. Like Rebecca Selznick tried to direct Spellbound from the producer's chair (he also took over the editing of the film). He was the one obsessed with psychotherapy having recently undergone it and even brought in his own shrink as a technical advisor.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought em all. If I don't like Spellbound or Straw Dogs I should be able to sell them on EBay for more than I bought em for.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Just found Notorious at my local Barnes and Noble and picked it up blind. I'm looking forward to watching it.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Four Criterions going OOP on December 31st
Criterion has announced on its website that four of their DVDs are to go out of print on December 31st 2003. The discs are Notorious, Rebecca, Spellbound and Straw Dogs.

All four discs contain the finest transfers available and copious supplements exclusive to each release. In this contributor's opinion, Stephen Prince's commentary on Straw Dogs is one of the most brilliant and insightful ever recorded.

The three Hitchcock titles are also available in a 5-disc giftpack Wrong Men and Notorious Women: Five Hitchcock Thrillers 1935-1946, which also contains The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes (neither of which are being discontinued in the near future), all for a considerable 37.5% discount.

Don't delay, and please buy these items from one of DVD Times' online affiliates:

Amazon.com - Amazon.ca - CD-Wow
Posted by Jon Robertson on 28-10-2003 16:40

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I ordered all three Hitchcocks from Deep Discount DVD about a week and a half ago; I figured it to be a long shot, as most of the big online retailers were out of them, and DDD turned out to be no exception. However, I was happily surprised when DDD sent an e-mail last Tuesday, notifying me that REBECCA and NOTORIOUS had just shipped (they arrived in the mail today), and apparently SPELLBOUND was shipped out to me on Saturday. Cool.

So there may be a ray of hope for those who haven't ordered from whichever online business (not just DDD) due to the titles' out-of-stock status. I wouldn't dally, though.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if they still have them in stock, but DVDEmpire.com had Rebecca for $23.97 and was still only $25.77 after shipping. This is about 3 bucks less than Deep Discount DVD.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
Rob-
That's fantastic, because I just called the local Barnes and Noble's and was quoted $32.97!!!

StevenA

Second Unit
I'm cuttin' it close, but I have to pay for the apartment and phone bills first.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat!

I rationed myself to one per month, so now I have Rebecca and Notorious, but I have to wait till December 15 before I can afford Spellbound. :frowning:

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
get them while you can. BTW if your shopping at Deep Discount
use the coupon code: "DVDTALK", to recieve ADDITIONAL 20% off.
BEST DEAL, EVER.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks