Found this on ebay

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Well...

When you start getting into the physics of electron flow, you discover something called the "Skin Effect". The signal flows along the surface of a wire, not inside. Stranded wire has more surface area than the same size solid wire.

This leads to the theory that more strands => more surface area => better sound.

This chain of thought sounds logical, but I'm not sure I support it. It kind of implies that you run out of surface area with other wires/surface area is somehow a limiting factor which I dont believe is true. But then again, I have seen a web site on impedence that claims the high-frequency roll-off of a long speaker wire is due to signal saturation and not simple impedence.

But to get more strands in a 12 ga space, you need to make the strands smaller. Take these small/thin strands and bend them back and forth 2-3 times and they break. So this cable would likely not stand up to much handling compared to other speaker wire.

Wires also have properties other than simple resistance. There is reactive-capacitance, impedence issues that are affected by the strand-size, how it's wound, how far apart the wires are, what the diaelectric constant of the insulating material is, etc. These all have a subtile effect on the sound.

So I'm afraid it's too hard to say if this blue wire would sound better/worse than Home Depot/Radio Shack/Monster 12 ga.

If you do decide to buy it, let us know what you think.

3. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I have some of this wire from ebay in my car stereo system. I dont know whether I have actualy heard a difference, but it works great and is really easy to work with in a car environment becasue it is really felxible and can go in tight spots.

Plus, it is cheap. You cant beat the price.

Later

4. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Higher strand count wires are typically more flexible as well (usually a good thing)...