What's new

Found the ultimate, hands down, worst spoiler cover/case (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Today I bought the movie "Live Wire" with Pierce Brosnan and Ron Silver. Now I will start by saying that I know this is a "B" movie at best, but I am always entertained by Ron Silver movies. His acting is like a watching car wreck, I can never turn away.

Luckily, I have seen this movie many times because when I read the movie synopsis on the back, it gave away the ENTIRE mystery of the movie including the ending. I don't want to spoil it for the other four people who may actually buy this movie, other than to say "Don't read the back Cover".

Seriously it is akin to writing, "Journey with twelve strangers on a ride on the Orient Express and watch as ______ kills them all off."

The only thing I've seen that comes close is the upcoming box cover for "Phone Booth", but this is worse.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
My faves for this:

The Spanish Prisoner front cover.

Planet of the Apes, the Charlton Heston version -- the front cover has the Statue of Liberty buried in the sand! The twist of the damn film is that he finds out at the end that he's still on Earth.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
You mean the Spanish Prisoner back cover, with the photo from the climax of the film? That was so horrible, I made a custom cover over at dvdcoverart.com that restores the mystery. Go get it.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The first batch of titles on RCA SelectaVision Videodiscs in 1981 told literally the ENTIRE story on the back covers! I guess since the discs skipped so much, you could read them to fill in any plot points you might have missed ;) I'll post a couple of them here when I get around to it, some of them are hilarious.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

The ones I had, didn't skip when I played them....of course, I never bought that many to begin with....too damn expensive. Guess I lucked out in more ways than one.......except, of course, buying the damn thing in the first place. :) Hey, look at the positive side; when the power went out, you could use candlelight and still "watch" the movie. :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
On the cover of several versions of the VHS of The Planet of the Apes, it showed...

Charlton Heston standing in front of a half-buried Statue of Liberty

Talk about giving away the ending.

nousername

Supporting Actor
The people who designed these covers should be fired. Really. I mean, would they put the ending on the cover of a mystery novel?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Dan,

the Reservoir Dogs case actually says that on the inside of the gatefold, but I do know what you mean, it shouldn't give any of that away.

I guess Artisan presumes that anyone who buys the dvd has already seen the film. :rolleyes

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I don't know if this is still the case with the DVD, but on any VHS cover of Pet Semetary I've seen (UK and Germany) there is a photo of the very last scene of the film. If I'm not totally mistaken this image was also used as a lobby card in Germany!

Chris

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
The VHS boxcover of Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead had a big spoiler:

It showed Tony Todd as a zombie

Thankfully, the cover was changed for the DVD release.

DJ

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
The Green Solyent cover also has a huge spoiler on it. I've never seen the movie, but IIRC from what I know
food is "made of people"
is supposed to be hidden 'til the end...

Cheers,

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HobbitGolf
Recent bookmarks