Found the speakers I want to buy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, Jan 28, 2002.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

Hi Guys,

right now, I'm using some old stereo speaker (towers) for my home theater system, but I have been looking for speakers that I like, and I think I may have finally found what I am looking for. I haven't heard too many, and I still want to keep my options open, but maybe in the future, I want to buy:

Infinity

INTERLUDE 60

4-way Floorstanding Speaker w/Built-In 12", 500-Watt Powered Subwoofer

Now keep in mind, that I would want 5 of these (for all the channels). Is this a good decision? I'm not buying them right now, (or in the coming months) but I plan to get these in the future.

Here are the specs:

GENERAL

Frequency Response (±3dB):

28Hz - 22kHz

Internal Subwoofer Amplifier Power:

500 watts

Recommended Power Amplifier Range:

15 - 175 watts

Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m):

89dB

Impedance:

8 ohms

Crossover Frequency:

150Hz, 500Hz, 2800Hz; 24dB/octave

Dimensions (H x W x D):

48" x 9-1/4" x 17-1/4"

(121.9cm x 23.5cm x 43.8cm)

Weight:

75 lb each, 34.1 kg each

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

IMO, that is a bad decision. I think the speakers you mentioned are something like $2900/pr., which is extremely overpriced for what many consider a marginal mid-fi speaker. If you are really contemplating spending in the $6K range there are many many better sounding brands that will give you much more enjoyment than the Infinity. JMO.

3. Brad McMahan

Brad McMahan Auditioning

I just recently picked up a pair of the IL60s for a little under $900 shipped from ubid.com. For that price the speakers aren't half bad. I definetly would not pay full retial for them though.

---

Brad

4. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

If you think they sound the best then they are the right ones to get. What other people think does not matter. Do what makes you happy. You may want to find the best price for those that you can, so shopping online might be a good idea. Make sure you listen to all the speakers you can before you buy those however, you may find ones you like better.

5. MichaelGomez

MichaelGomez Stunt Coordinator

Ever listen to Klipsch. They might surprize you and save you a little money to boot.

6. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

If you like the Interlude series, IMO you should get the ones without the powered woofers, and put that money into a pair of SVS, or Adire Dharman if you don't like the cylinder look.

7. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

The primary argument against speakers with powered sub-woofers built in is that because bass wavelengths are so long they interfere with each other in very audible ways (as in move your seating position a couple of feet and you are now in a "null spot" where all the bass is cancelled out and other oddities like that). If you only have one source of bass, like a dedicated subwoofer, or you have them all in one location then the amount of interference is sub-stantially reduced - resulting in a more even distribution of bass through out the entire listening area.