1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Found sonotube!! How much would I need with a 24" diameter, with a Tempest?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hsu, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

So yeah, someone on another forum has helped me to find some sonotube! 24", but I was wondering how much I would need to properly suit a Tempest...there's a 8' minimum buy, so I was hoping that it'd be at most 4'...

Lastly, ANYBODY IN SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN WANT TO SPLIT AN 8' TUBE? Assuming that 4' is all I need, that is. [​IMG]

2. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Well, looking at PatSun's site, looks like all I need is 41" of a 24" diameter sonotube! I'll be making a design almost exactly like that...

Now it's just a question of finding someone to split the tube with! [​IMG]

3. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Joe,

Yeah, I finished my sub that's very similar to Pat's Sunosub II about a month ago. I used 43" of the 24" sonotube for an internal length of about 41" (take off whatever amount of end plug you'll have on each end).

Regardless, you'll probably be OK to cut it in half and have 2 48" sections.

If you can't find someone to take the other section, consider keeping it for a friend who has to have one after they experience yours. You could even help them build it since you'll be an expert by then!

JKS

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

heh, yeah, but as a student, shelling out $45 extra for an uncertainty is...frightening. [​IMG]

But you might also ask, what is a student doing with a sub like this...hehe. [​IMG]

5. Phil~E~Guy

Phil~E~Guy Extra

Where could I find construction details on Pat's Sunosub II?

6. Dave_VanA

Dave_VanA Auditioning

Phil-E-Guy, Pat's page for his Sonotube II:

http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub2.html

I'm looking at building one, too. I haven't figured out exactly where to get one "construction supply" and "cement suppliers" are vague to me - need something more concrete. (concrete - Sonotube- oh I made a funny!)

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Check the Yellow pages for local sources (Construction Supply companies).

8. Kevin_Johnson

Kevin_Johnson Auditioning

I recommend you figure out the volume of the enclosure and size of the port you want and then check out this site: http://www.quux.net/roo/diy/sonosub/sonocalc.html

The driver volume for the Tempest is 305 cubic inches. Put in the rest of the variables you're interested in and you'll be good to go. You'll be able to quickly see the differences in going to different diameter tubes if you like. I found it very handy.

Kevin