found some more paradigms in a pawn shop today

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by London Lawson, Mar 18, 2005.

1. London Lawson

London Lawson Second Unit

not sure the model number, but the said monitor on the front and they were black. probably about 20 inches tall or so. the had a sticker price of 450. i am thinking they were the mini monitors, but i thought those were 399 new. i offered the guy 200, he said 300..so i said ill pass and thought i would post here for advice.

???

2. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I got my Klipsch Chourus II's at a pawn shop for $100/pr. and he even included tax in that price!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The guy needed to get them out of the place (no room!) - kicker is he knew about Klipsch and knew what he had on his hands. I think he was happy to see me buy them (not some ghetto little thug). Speakers are worth $700-9000/pr. on eBay.

Anyway, yeah, either low-ball the guy - or walk. If they are there in a few weeks, try again.

As hard as it is, sometimes you just need to PASS on stuff, even if you see a diamond in the rough (there were a pair of older Martin-Logan's at a local pawn shop!!!), pass unless you are literally getting it at a STUPID low price and you can USE THEM or SELL THEM.

3. London Lawson

i got a paradigm pw2000 for 200 tax included as well in a pawnshop. now every pawn shop i see i stop at. my wife hates ut, she said pawn shops give her the creeps! i went in one the other day that was just like the one in pulp fiction.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Minis are only $370/pr MSRP US, and they usually sell for a bit less than that. If it was a single small mid, it's a Mini. If it's a larger bass driver, it might be a Monitor 3. I think you did the right thing by passing on them.

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Gee, I wonder if they're stolen.

6. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Jim:

Honestly, I doubt it. There are a lot of stolen things, but I figure a lot of speakers might have been purchased when someone was doing well, but maybe speakers are something people like to use as collateral.

Figure, my speakers tip the scale at almost 200 POUNDS per pair. Probably NOT stolen.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    London, it would be easier for us to give you some definite information if you could confirm the model number. Without that the best we can do is guess.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

8. London Lawson

well i went into a local audio shop and they guy said i need at the minimum a monitor 7 or 9 to go with my paradigm pw2200, is that accurate? or was this guy trying to make a quick buck?

9. London Lawson

well i went into a local audio shop and they guy said i need at the minimum a monitor 7 or 9 to go with my paradigm pw2200, is that accurate? or was this guy trying to make a quick buck?