What's new

Found Robocop Criterion in stock, is it worth buying? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I know the picture isn't as good as the rerelease & I'm not that bothered about the commentary.

The reason I'm considering it is because I'm unsure whether the uncut version will ever come out again.

I know nobody knows the answer but what's the general feeling about this version coming again in an anamorphic release?

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The special edition that MGM released in Region 2 earlier this year contains the directors cut as well as the theatrical version, so I can see the eventual Region 1 release having both as well. If you don't want to wait until it's released in the US and if PAL speed up,or the fact that you can only buy all three Robocop films together, puts you off the R2 version, the Criterion release is the only way to go for the unrated version.

I know you mentioned that you aren't bothered about the commentary but I must say that the Criterion release has one of the best commentary tracks ever recorded and is a lot better than the newer one on the MGM version.

Richard

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Are you sure Richard? I heard it was the other way around on the commentary. Still, I love my Criterion Robocop, one of my first discs.

Also worth noting is that the Criterion is shown at 1.66:1 while the upcoming MGM special edition is 1.85:1.

If you can get it for a decent price I say go for it.

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Anyone know what the big hold up is with the R1 release by MGM? It's been out for a while now in R2 and I'm tempted to buy if MGM doesn't hurry it up. :angry:

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The likelihood of all the Criterion extras being 'exported' for use with this upcoming MGM revisit of the unrated Robocop is little to none.

Yes, the Criterion edition is non-anamorphic (and the scan lines can be a little distracting on my TV) but it the color isn't overly saturated like the new MGM version, has a more muted, film-like appearance in my opinion. If you are a fan of the film then there's no reason to pass up on the Criterion now for an edition that may not see the light of day anytime soon.

I heard it was the other way around on the commentary.
The Criterion director's commentary is one of the best I've ever heard.

Joseph

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i find the criterion disc to be almost unwatchable on my 38" 16:9...really noisy and very little detail.

of course it's nice having the uncut version.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just traded for this last week...and it's a really fantastic disc. The transfer (much like Silence of the Lambs: CC) is very film like...and one of the few that I don't mind being non-anamorphic.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit

The MGM SE commentary is also one of the best I've ever heard. I haven't heard the Criterion commentary, but it would have to be very special to better the newer one, especially as the new one has all the participants recorded together. Has anyone heard both and care to give their opinion?

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
I have heard both of the Robocop commentaries, and on the whole I prefer the Criterion.

However, I heard the Criterion commentary first, and the MGM seems to miss out details, due to it's probable lack of information editing.

especially as the new one has all the participants recorded together.
What do you get from a commentary where everyone is recorded together? A lot of people laughing with one another. I prefer the "Criterion" style approach to commentaries, it's usually more informative, and relavent.

Traffic's commentaries are similar, the commentaries are recorded in "takes" and edited together from the best picks.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I agree with Scott on this one. Edited commentaries are usually more informative, while commentaries recorded together are usually more entertaining.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Traffic's commentaries are similar, the commentaries are recorded in "takes" and edited together from the best picks.
Apart from Chasing Amy I think this is how Criterion has always done group commentaries. New Line used to do it this way as well and I'm hoping that they do it again with the commentaries on Fellowship Of The Ring:Extended Cut .
Richard

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I don't know, sometimes I prefer edited together commentaries, sometimes I like the group ones. I guess the ideal solution would be to have both on every disc, but obviously that would never happen. For example the David Fincher commentary on Fight Club was very informative, but I definitely prefer the Fincher/Pitt/Norton track as it is informative and immensely entertaining.

I agree that sometimes group commentaries can get a little carried away, as illustrated by the upcoming Resident Evil DVD. It was fun to listen to, but I got basically nothing at all out of it. At one point Milla Jovovich actually says "Wait, were going to watch the whole movie and do commentary? Oh, cool."

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
New Line used to do it this way as well and I'm hoping that they do it again with the commentaries on Fellowship Of The Ring:Extended Cut.
Agreed, there's an insane amount of knowledge to spread around on four commentaries. 14 hours of talk, nearly. If it's pieced together well, then forgive me for gleeful excesses in three and a bit months time.:D
It is indeed possible to marry entertainment and information in a commentary (spontaneous or not) as demonstrated by Fight Club's Fincher-Norton and Pitt commentary and the Pixar commentaries.
It's just that IMO Criterion's RoboCop commentary works better at both, and that's because they don't go off on tangents and forget about what is happening onscreen and they are edited together well.
I highly recommend the Criterion disc. (although I own both sets, anything for more Robocop goodness.)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
For me, I just can't stand the way the Criterion Robocop looks and sounds. They used a laserdisc transfer from the early 90's which doesn't hold a candle to the transfers by today's standards. If any other company besides Criterion would release an old laserdisc transfer, there would be people on this forum screaming for their heads. Somehow, no matter how much a studio improves on an old Criterion transfer no one will accept it. Don't get my wrong, I love Criterion's work but the newer transfers of This Is Spinal Tap, Silence Of The Lambs and Robocop simply look better in my opinion. I'm sure if Criterion were to release these titles tomorrow, they'd do an outstanding job but these 8 year old laserdisc transfers just don't cut it. The audio on Robocop sounds weak and tinny and is encoded at a low 184 bit rate.
I understand the argument about the 1.66 aspect ratio on Robocop but it played far more theaters in 1.85 than 1.66 (hardly any US theaters where it played were capable
of 1.66 projection back in 1987).
If you can afford it, the best way is really to own both. I still have my Criterion Robocop for the extras.
As for the group commentaries, back when Boogie Nights came out most people stated they preferred the group commentary from the Criterion LD over Anderson's solo commentary on the New Line DVD. I wish that on the Criterion Silence Of The Lambs that they wouldn've included the seperate commentaries in addition to the edited commentary. I'm sure they still had the tapes lying around and there was certainly bit room available.
Short answer: Get 'em both!
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks