Found new love in DVD-a, but now wondering about SACD.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I just bought the Panny CP72 and I love Blue Man Group: Audio DVD-A and looking forward to my DVD-A of Organ Spectacular, but now I am hearing more and more about the SACD!! If it really is better and more titles come out for it then I'm sure I will have to get one.

Does anyone make a SACD only player?

My Panny is a great DVD player and I would not need anything else in the player (i.e. progressive scan DVD-V, VCD, SVCD, etc...), but just a good multichannel SACD player. How much for the cheapest SACD player that is worth my time buying? Thanks!

2. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

Check Circuit City stores in your area. I got the discontinued Sony SCD-CD775 for about $160 recently. Combined with my JVC DVD-A puchase from J&R, I'm into both formats for about $300.

Depending on the type of music you like, SACD may not be for you. I basically got a player because of the rumors that Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd will arrive on SACD in the first quarter of this year. Right now, there isn't much on SACD that interests me, so I'm using the Sony as a CD changer.

3. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

I actually love Classical music, but also good classic bands and musicians, like Peter Gabriel, Michael Jackson, etc...

I really love anyone that is willing to take the 6.1 set-up and bring out some new and inventive ways of bringing music back to the creative aspect.

My favorite DVD Audio anything including DVD movies is Blue Man Group:Audio DVD-A. It is amazing how they really immerse the listener into the music. Any thing like that is what I am looking for. That is also why I love Aaron Copland, because of the OmniMax demo they played at my local OmniMax showing off the speakers before the movie started. Stuff like that I love!

I will look into the cheap Sony player, I saw the Sony single player @ Best buy this weekend, but I wondered if it was a good player or not. I am using my Panny as my CD player and DVD-V and DVD-A player right now.

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

We've had a DVD-A capable player for about 6 months and have about a half dozen discs. We just bought the Sony 222es SACD 5 disc changer last week and I am very impressed.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Grady, the Sony 'CE775 is very difficult to find even as demo components. You will probably have an easier time finding a 'C222ES changer, which is a better component. Check OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros., as these dealers should have the 'C222ES for around $350.

6. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

All of the local Circuit City stores no longer carry the CE775, demo or not. The only stores I've seen new and/or demo units are Best Buy stores, so you might want to check the other locations (if any) near you for stock.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Both Sony and Marantz have SACD only players. But this also depends on how much you want to spend. There are a few dvd/sacd/dvd-a players out right now. Denon will be releasing a DVD/DVD-A/SACD player around the summertime. Adcom will also be releasing a DVD/DVD-A player that will retail for $1,000. around the same time this year. Both these models where displayed at the CES show this year.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Almost forgot :b the Denon player features the Sony chipset for playing SACD's.