What's new

Found my old cell phone, anything I can do with the SIM card now? (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I lost my phone in mid novemeber, apparently outside in my front yard. And last week managed to find it. It's an old Motorola Razr V3. Well, goooooooollllyyyy, it still works, survived the Berkshire "winter" and wondering what to do with it. I grabbed the contacts off the sim card but since I got a new phone with the same provider (AT&T), and a new contract, wondering what to do with the RAZR since it still works. There is no way to activate my extra SIM now I presume unless I get another contract?
I just had to charge the battery and it is like good as new!
jay

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Since they aren't subsidizing the phone they may let you activate it w/o a contract if you wanted to have a second line or family plan. If you don't want to there are a lot of good organizations that take cell phone donations.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Since I can make emergency phone calls, I'm thinking of just using it when I'm bike commuting, I may mosey over to the AT&T store to see my options too..
Jay

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The SIM card will probably be of a different number than you're using now?

Our provider issues official copy-SIM-cards. Both, my wife and I have one of our "master" SIM-cards and use those two in our old cell-phones. You can never have both on at the same time, but the old ones are useful to carry on vacations (where you might lose them), or like you suggested, while sporting or biking.

If your old card is really the same (probably not, because it must have the same MAC-address) you could use it. Or else you could inquire if your provider does the same our does.
It's handy, because you don't need to take your SIM out of one phone (possibly removing the battery) and put it in the other one.

(Provider companies don't like this, so it's not widely advertised, because you won't take a second contract using this method.)

Cees

michelleE

Auditioning
Real Name
Michelle Evans
Since you already have a new one, maybe you can consider trading your old phone. A recent study discovered that U.S. consumers are looking at billions in trade-in value on their outdated cellular devices. Those outdated phones are worth cash. Plus, selling them keeps them out of the environment.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, old thread alert, the old phone still works but the sim card is deactivated so I still have it. In fact, I even have my even older Motorola V-180 that doesn't even have a camera on it. That one still works so I have all three. Never know when one phone goes under, I can always just regress into ancient history... :) Otherwise, yeah, I would definitely donate the cell phone to charity if I had no use for it. Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks