found 3/4" 13ply plywood at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Dixon, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Brad Dixon

Brad Dixon Stunt Coordinator

It's oak and stocked in 2x4 sheets. From reading the forums marine grade 3/4" is recommended but locally I've only been able to find 7 and 9 ply 3/4" marine grade. Some places are checking into getting 3/4" 13ply but it would be a special order in all cases. I've found 3/4" 13ply Baltic Birch locally though.

The Home Depot plywood sure looks to be void free. I checked out 6 sheets and they looked great to me. They're priced at ~$17 per 2x4 sheet(equivalent to $68 per 4x8 sheet). I spoke with what seemed to be a knowledgeable lumber guy and explained what it would be used for. He couldn't see a reason why the marine grade(7 or 9ply) would be better unless it had something to do with the glue used to laminate the plys. He also said the 13ply 2x4 sheets they had were void free but from reading the forum I was under the impression that marine grade was the only one that was void free anymore.

Would anyone care to comment whether I should keep trying to find some 3/4" 13ply marine grade plywood or would the 3/4" 13ply from Home Depot work OK? I could get the Baltic Birch but those with more knowledge than me seem to recommend the marine grade first then Baltic Birch.

For those interested the Home Depot was in Chandler, Arizona. I'm not sure if this is a sheet carried at all the stores or not.

Any thoughts welcome,
    Brad

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer