Fosgate Audionics?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RayM, Mar 15, 2004.

1. RayM

RayM Agent

I found a good deal on the FA 15.0 ($269) and I just thought I'd ask if anybody here has had any experience with this sub or any of the same family line.
    So anybody?? [​IMG]

2. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

Ray:
    I had two of the FA12.0 subwoofers which have the 12 inch driver. I paid $299 for each with free shipping. (I sold one and I am in the process of finding a buyer for the second). At $269 for the FA15.0 that has to be below dealer cost. A couple of things you need to know: the reason the FA series is so inexpensive is that they are discontinued. While Jim Fosgate is well respected for his work with DPL II, good luck trying to find a review of any of his FA subwoofers on the Internet. The FA subs are consumer versions of the Hafler Studio Series of speakers. They are very heavy, very well built and very tight. If you are going to use the FA15.0 primarily for music, I would say it would be an excellant choice. For HT, it might work as well, but it depends on what type of movies you watch, total cubic feet of your room, where you place it, and the distance to the listening position. Just understand, if you ever try to sell it, when and if you decide to upgrade, it might be a little difficult, because I don't think a lot of people have heard of Fosgate Audionics subwoofers. Also, make sure the vendor you purchase it from reinforces the shipping box; the box tends to be a little flimsy.

3. RayM

RayM Agent

Thanks for the reply. From what you've said, I take it these subs don't have much output in the 20hz range. I watch movies more than I listen to music with the system I planned to use this sub in. I think I'll pass on this deal and get something else.

4. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

In my HT room, I got a real good response at 20hz, but this, of course, depends on the room acoustics, sub placement...the Fosgate has a 20Hz subsonic filter. No way do the Fosgates compare to SVS subs...that's the main reason I'm upgrading...