What's new

Forums not being marked read (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Over the last few days, I've encountered this problem a couple of times. I'll log on to the HTF, scan the new messages for any of interest, and close the browser. When I come back a little later, none of the earlier messages are marked read--even when they haven't had any new posts. Today, it's gotten to where people are adding new posts and topics and they are showing up, but the old ones that haven't been replied to in hours are still showing as having new posts.

I hope this makes sense.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
How frequently are you returning? If your visits outpace vBulletin's session time-out (the default is 15 minutes, I believe), you might want to hit the 'Mark all forums as read' link on the frontpage before closing your browser.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Okay, as a test, I manually marked all forums as read, closed down, and came back. All the threads from my first log-on of the day were back showing new posts! Maybe I'll try reseting my cookies.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
How frequently are you returning? If your visits outpace vBulletin's session time-out (the default is 15 minutes, I believe), you might want to hit the 'Mark all forums as read' link on the frontpage before closing your browser.
Since I've been testing today, it's been within 30 seconds. But, this weekend, there were longer time intervals between visits.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Greg:

I am not sure why it does that. It did it to me this weekend too. I know it is all cookie based and the cookie is written to each time, at least it is supposed to be, you visit the forum. This weekend for someone reason it was acting really weird.

The default timeout for the cookie here is 5 minutes. Also, you might want to check out if you have the "Browse this board with cookies" disabled in the User Control Panel -> Edit Options. This might help.

Parker

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Parker,

I checked and my options are set right. I logged out and reset my cookies, and I think things are working right now. It'll probably take a little time to know for sure, but it's looking okay for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks