Forum Speed Any Better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I need some feedback from you guys that I can give to Travis on our forum speed over the next several days. If things appear to be running better on your end or if the site is still staying slow let me know and I will forward this information to Travis.

If you can note the time of any slow downs and include them in this thread it could help us isolate any problems.

Thanks,

Parker

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It has been unusually good from my end today, Parker--a much smoother and faster ride. Thanks!

3. Rain

Rain Producer

Seems better today than it has been in the last few days. [​IMG]

4. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

Definitely quick & snappy today. (It had been rather slow and sluggish on my cable modem connection the past week.)

5. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Definitely better on my end! [​IMG]

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    It's nearly 1am over here, and it seems nice and fast to me.[​IMG]

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Seems nice to me. Be sure to thank Bill and Todd for us! [​IMG]

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It's been lightning since the new forum code - never noticed any problems... [​IMG]

9. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

10. Parker Clack

Parker
    I am glad to hear that things have improved. My ISP was giving me some severe latency problems so I needed to check out if the board speed had improved or if it was the latency issues I was having had been resolved. Looks like both issues have been taken care of.

Parker

11. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Personally I have felt that the forum is still slower than normal for about a week or so. Seems that every thread I open it takes forever for the icons to load (especially the new copy icon). As a result, the text is shoved to the far right for an extended period of time, waiting to find the icons.

BTW, I have a cable modem and have never experienced this problem since I have been coming to the HTF.

-Chad

12. Parker Clack

Parker
    Chad:

What ISP are you using? I was having a lot of latency issues with Road Runner here in KC and that made the forum really slow.

Do you have problems with any other sites being slower than usual. How about sending mail out? Do you have any delay there? I noticed a lag time with sending email out as well as getting into other sites. Some more than others.

Do you know how to do a trace route with the ISP that you are using to see if you have any delays/timeouts in route to our server? Sometimes the hop just before getting into qwk.net (the network we are on) which is eli.net has some delays in it.

The server so far as been running very well of late with only about 20% of its resources being used at high loads. This improvement only started a couple of days ago though.

If you continue to have lag issues then let me know if you would.

Parker

13. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Admittedly, I have not been a hardcore surfer the past few weeks, but the speed is good now. There was a time maybe 3(?) weeks ago when I could not get graphics to load. I don't see that now. But that could have been on my end.

- Steve

14. Chad Gregory

Parker,
    I am using AT&T Broadband. I am starting to think that it is on my end, since I have been a little slow ever since @home.com switched over to attbi.com here in Chicago. But the forum had continued to be fast, but in the past 10 days or so it seems that my browser has a hard time finding the small graphics. Maybe it's just me. [​IMG]
    I'm not 100% sure how to do a trace route, but give me a quick description and I can figure it out.
    -Chad

15. Parker Clack

Parker
    Chad:
    There are various different programs out there that you can get. The easiest way is at the run command just type in: tracert hometheaterforum.com and you will see a bunch of hops from your location to the hometheaterforum server. If you notice any significant delays going from one hop to the next you can write that location down and report it to your ISP. A program that I like is WS_Ping available through http://www.ipswitch.com.
    I reported a hop that was really timing out to Road Runner and they said that they were watching it as there were known latency issues with that particular hub. It appears they fixed it the next day as all of my email and web pages started to load up really fast.
    I am sure that attbi.com is still having some issues with all the increased traffic that they picked up when @home went down.
    Parker

16. Parker Clack

Parker
    Steve:

Good to hear from you. Glad to hear that the site is coming up faster on your end. I appreciate your feedback.

Parker

17. Chad Gregory

Parker,

I ran a tracert to hometheaterforum.com.

I won't post the complete results here, but I can email it to you.

It took 20 hops, between the 15th and 16th there was a 72 ms difference. Any help? Any questions?

Thanks, Chad

18. Parker Clack

Parker
    That is probably were your hang up is. Unfortunately tracert doesn't also list the domain name so it is difficult to know where the problem is. I would try getting WS_Ping or some other type of trace route program that also gives you the domain name of the IP address that is giving you the trouble. That way you could see if it is related to your attbi line or sprintnet or what.

Parker

19. Chad Gregory

Parker,

I did run a trace route with WS_Ping Pro. Sorry if my wording was confusing.

The 15th host name is p11-0.cr01.chcg.eli.net

The 16th host name is p10-0.cr02.slkc.eli.net

There is over a 70 ms difference between these two hosts.

Any suggestions?

-Chad

20. Parker Clack

Parker
    Chad:

Not much. It sounds like eli.net is were you are having a lag in your connection to the server and they are a couple of hops before qwk.net which is the network we are on. I know that every once in awhile I notice that they are dragging from my end too.

I will try writing Travis and see if there is anything that he can do about talking to eli.net and ask them if they know of any routers issues that they are having, etc.

Does the forum continue to give you the same problems that you were having a few days ago or has this improved any?

Parker